Moving container shipped

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Moving container shipped

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    boulogne

Hi,

We bought a house in Puerto Viejo and we shipped a container for our household to Limon

The container is now about 5 weeks by customs.

A agent from here is occuped with it but there is everyday an other explenation why his is still not free for shipping to our house. It looks like it will be a never ending story…

Did anybody had the same problems ? Or can anybody help us with this problem ?

Thanks a lot !
    Carine

costaricafinca
    Participant

Did you use a shipper based in Costa Rica?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Did you use a shipper based in Costa Rica?[/quote]

That’s the critical question, crf. Any U.S. (and probably Canadian) mover, Bekins, Wheaton, Mayflower, et al, can arrange to have a shipping container delivered to your home and then hauled to the nearest port of exit. It’s when that container arrives in Costa Rica that the fun begins.

There are perfectly capable Costa Rica-based shipping companies who can make the same arrangements in the U.S. or Canada but who also know the ins and outs of getting that container through Costa Rican Customs because they do it all the time.

There’s nothing better than local knowledge.

boulogne

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Did you use a shipper based in Costa Rica?[/quote]

No, we did it with a Belgium shippement company. Because we did the move from Belgium

boulogne

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”costaricafinca”]Did you use a shipper based in Costa Rica?[/quote]

That’s the critical question, crf. Any U.S. (and probably Canadian) mover, Bekins, Wheaton, Mayflower, et al, can arrange to have a shipping container delivered to your home and then hauled to the nearest port of exit. It’s when that container arrives in Costa Rica that the fun begins.

There are perfectly capable Costa Rica-based shipping companies who can make the same arrangements in the U.S. or Canada but who also know the ins and outs of getting that container through Costa Rican Customs because they do it all the time.

There’s nothing better than local knowledge.
    [/quote]

That’s correct, no problems just at the Costa Rica port… and than it started… we have a Costa Ricans agent here.. but it is now 5 weeks later… and NO container… 🙁

costaricafinca
    Participant

Most of us that have successfully transported our belongings, hired a reputable mover/broker based in Costa Rica. Then the broker would ‘chose’ reputable companies he knows of, in the originating country.
    The easy part is the transportation, and then the hard part begins, as in getting it safely through customs without anything being stolen.
    Maybe it is worth contacting a broker who may, for a fee, intercede on your behalf, such as
    [b][url=http://www.solutionscostarica.com/relocating/]
    Charles Zeller[/url] [/b] website
    Tel: (506) Tel: 506-2431-1234
    Tel: (866) 245-6923 from US
    Fax: (506) 2258-7123
    E mail: shiptocostarica@racsa.co.cr

Just recently on another forum, someone else posted that they had ‘shipped’ 6 boxes and only received 4 and eventually 1 more with the last one, still missing. They thought that the problem was due to the amount of time the boxes were left at customs, since they, the family shipping them [i]’couldn’t afford to pay the fees/duties'[/i]
    The duties on used goods are usually quite low.

I heard Mr. Zeller speak at the ARCR seminar in October. You must get his take on what constitutes “luggage” in Costa Rica. It is both informative and funny! He could do stand up comedy in Las Vegas if he wanted.

The handout from the seminar from his firm is worth it’s weight in gold. I am currently waiting for a quote from him for using the pallet, boxes 7 ft high method which recommended to me. Since I have such a small amount to move, the final price and import will be my deal breaker.

If it is too much money, then I will slowly replace things I need with garage sales of people moving back to the states.

johnnyh

Boulogne: Mind if I ask who you bought the house from? Was it one of the local real estate agents or a private party? I’m also interested in the Caribbean side of Costa Rica.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.