Movies in Costa Rica – Netflix?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Movies in Costa Rica – Netflix?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rf2cr
    Participant

Anyone out there using Netflix regularly? Does the system work between here and there? ( We are unfortunately still in Calif. but moving soon.) I have been collecting DVDs, now I am thinking Netflix might be the better way to go. Your imput appreciated.

Ruth

rshiver

DVDs have a region code. we also brought movies to CR to learn that they would not play on CR dvd players. If you look on a dvd, you will see a small world globe. a number will be in that globe. the number 1 is the US. the number 4 is latin america and they must match. the solution is to bring a dvd player from the US and use US movies.

grb1063

From persoanl experinece, the newer laptopc omputers, such as the Dell XPS will allow you to change the country code, but the quantity of changes is limited. To avoid viewing the movie on a small screen, you could use a laptop as the CPU and play on a large monitor.

rf2cr
    Participant

Thank you everyone, glad I asked the question, now I will have to bring my dvd player as well as the discs I have collected.

Ruth

dehaaij

You can easily find DVD players in Costa Rica that are Region 1 and 4 or that are Region-Free altogether. Just be sure is says so somehwere on the package before you buy it. Some of them come with a code and instructions on how to set it to be “region-free”. Then you won’t have to worry about which code the DVD’s are.

If you plan to rent videos from the local video stores, you will find some DVD’s that are only region four. Those won’t play in a Region 1 player from the US.

deb

I don´t know about Netflix, but my family had service with
    Blockbuster. We just moved to CR and I know they do not serve this area. However, as many here do, we are having our mail and packages delivered to Miami, Florida. I am going to investigate whether that would work….sent to Miami, which is then forwarded to CR for pickup. Does anyone know if that would work

dehaaij

There is a delivery service, “express” as they say in Costa Rica, for DVD’s. It’s called CR Movie Express. Their site is http://www.crmovie.com/

this copied from my blog in May of last year:

You create an account online and give them your address and credit card info (optional as you can pay cash too). Browse through their website and check out the details of any particular movie of interest. You can select your movies online or by phone. Your movies are sent to your home via messenger on a motorbike within 45-60 minutes. You pay the messenger, inspect the DVD’s and agree on a return date pickup time. When that time comes around, the messenger shows up at your house again and you give him the DVD’s. It’s that simple.

There are two types of plans available. The normal one is 1000 colones for new releases and 700 colones for all others. Rent up to six of these at one time for a period of two days.

The other plan is the VIP. Pay $25 per month and you can rent up to three movies at a time, keep them as long as you want and never pay a late fee. Upon returning your movies, order more and do this as often as you like.

rdelgado

Ruth,
    Not Ideal but very nice….If you have dsl access, look into getting a SlingBox (under 200 usd ) from Sling Media http://slingbox.com/ . I have one setup at my daughters house in the states. When traveling I login and watch TV just like if I where in her living room. There is no monthly fee on the Slingbox but you’ll need to have it sit on top of a cable or Tivo, etc…

For just movies you can try Vongo. Not a great selection but, not bad… http://www.vongo.com

Cheers,
    Rick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.