Most affordable way to drive for 6 months.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Most affordable way to drive for 6 months.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dickjones

Greetings lovers of Costa Rica!

This is my first post on this forum so I had better introduce myself. I am Dick Jones, a 34 year old Brit who is married to a Canadian lady currently residing in the UK. We have grown tired of the cold, grey winters, miserable people (admittedly more in the UK than Canada this one) and a work ethic that expects you to work longer for less and less rewards.

We are curious to know if we could live a better life elsewhere and we feel CR is an excellent place to start. We have been researching a move to CR for sometime and are now in a position to come and stay for a while, to try to live the Pura Vida way.

Our plan is to stay a minimum of 6 months before we make more permanent plans. We intended stay in the Uvita, Dominical, Ojochal area as we are seeking a quite rural style lifestyle.

We would be very grateful for any tips or advise at this stage. Perhaps some of you wished you had been more prepared before you arrived upon the ‘Rich Coast’.

I am sure we will have many more specific questions in due course but right now, I would like some advice on the following if anyone has any:

For the period we intend to initially stay (min 6 months)is it better to rent a car long term or buy one? Can you suggest good trusted places to source either of these options? I was thinking a Land Rover Defender (thinking with my British heart) or a (quieter, probably more reliable) Toyota Land Cruiser.

While I’m writing this, I would like to take the opportunity to thank those of you who take the time to post regularly on this forum and others like it. It has been an invaluable source of inspiration and information for us in our exploration of the the ‘what would life be like if…’

Kind regards,

Dick.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Dick, to purchase either of your choices expect to pay a very high price, especially a new one from a dealer. You will find many older ones here, but they still may not be ‘cheap’
    To rent or lease them, would also cost [i]well[/i] over $1000 per month … but I don’t know a company that deals in these specific vehicles.
    Suggest you read the ‘rules and regs’ if you haven’t already done so, in regards to [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Immigration-and-Residency/residency-general-information-and-summary.html]living here legally.[/url]

From an expat of both the UK and Canada 😉

dickjones

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Dick, to purchase either of your choices expect to pay a very high price, especially a new one from a dealer. You will find many older ones here, but they still may not be ‘cheap’
    To rent or lease them, would also cost [i]well[/i] over $1000 per month … but I don’t know a company that deals in these specific vehicles.
    Suggest you read the ‘rules and regs’ if you haven’t already done so, in regards to [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Immigration-and-Residency/residency-general-information-and-summary.html]living here legally.[/url]

From an expat of both the UK and Canada :wink:[/quote]

Many thanks costaricafinca,

I was aware that any solution the vehicle conundrum was going to be pricy 🙁
    I wish importation/taxation wasn’t such a nightmare as I could pick up a loverly Landy for £5000 here. Never mind – you have to take the rough with the smooth!

I would definitely be buying used while we were in early days of being in CR. Would you have any suggestions about smaller 4x4s? I remember seeing a lot of Terios and Rav4’s out there last time.

With regards to the Rules and Regs. We were working on the assumption that the perp. tourist route would do for the first 6 months. When we were in a better position to make more long term decisions, we were going to contact ARCR for assistance with obtaining permanent residency. Or maybe you know of better immigration assistance services?

A Limey a Canuk and now a Tico huh? I guess we are headed in the right direction then…!

Thanks for your help.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Just remember that your legal paperwork must be dated less than 6 months previously, when being handed over to immigration.
    We imported a vehicle from the US and it’s not such a ‘hassle [b]if[/b] you have a competent shipper/broker involved. If you decide not to import one, and if you can find what you want, it would be best to purchase one here rather than renting a vehicle

Please note that as a [i]Rentista[/i] and being under 55 your [url=http://www.usexpatcostarica.com/arcr-rate-hike-for-caja-plan/]healthcare[/url] could cost you $442 per month…:shock:
    Even higher premiums are being put on an [i]Investor[/i] of $680 although this is not posed on the other link.

costaricafinca
    Participant

An [url=http://www.qcostarica.com/2014/06/06/new-rtv-manual-requires-the-new-license-plates-and-kmh-speedometer/]article this morning[/url] regarding new rules to be in place for next year RITEVE inspections.

“Right hand driven vehicles will no longer pass the inspection. RHD vehicles are prohibited under the Ley de Transito of 2012, however, it was not a fail point for the vehicular inspection”.

“The new manual requires that speedometers include the kilometers per hour (kmh) measurement. Some imported vehicles, like from the United States for example, have speedometers only in miles per hour (mph). The change, however, only applies to vehicles entering the country starting next year”…although vehicles before 1977 in the UK were not required to have Kmh. speedometers. Right?

dickjones

[quote=”costaricafinca”]An [url=http://www.qcostarica.com/2014/06/06/new-rtv-manual-requires-the-new-license-plates-and-kmh-speedometer/]article this morning[/url] regarding new rules to be in place for next year RITEVE inspections.

“Right hand driven vehicles will no longer pass the inspection. RHD vehicles are prohibited under the Ley de Transito of 2012, however, it was not a fail point for the vehicular inspection”.

“The new manual requires that speedometers include the kilometers per hour (kmh) measurement. Some imported vehicles, like from the United States for example, have speedometers only in miles per hour (mph). The change, however, only applies to vehicles entering the country starting next year”…although vehicles before 1977 in the UK were not required to have Kmh. speedometers. Right?[/quote]

Thanks for drawing this to my attention. You are correct about the UK law regarding KPH.

In all honesty I think I will be having enough to contend with without having factoring in the additional headaches of importing a RHD, UK registered car.

I think I will have to find a CR Landy and think of it as a family member that needs to be looked after! The best thing about a Defender or Series is at least they are simple. Do you happen to know if Land Rover parts are easy to source outside SJ?

Do you mind me asking what you drive out there?

Thanks

costaricafinca
    Participant

Land Rover and Land Cruiser parts seem easily accessible all over the country and they can be sent ‘from town’ via the bus, if not found locally. and it is one that my husband, a mechanic recommends. He is used to finicky British vehicles. 😉 after owning both MGB’S and Jaquars.

One of the best parts stores in Costa Rica, [url=http://www.laguacamaya.co.cr/index.php]La Guacamaya[/url] and they are now in several locations.

We have bought and used hard, 2 Nissan pick-ups.

dickjones

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Land Rover and Land Cruiser parts seem easily accessible all over the country and they can be sent ‘from town’ via the bus, if not found locally. and it is one that my husband, a mechanic recommends. He is used to finicky British vehicles. 😉 after owning both MGB’S and Jaquars.

One of the best parts stores in Costa Rica, [url=http://www.laguacamaya.co.cr/index.php]La Guacamaya[/url] and they are now in several locations.

We have bought and used hard, 2 Nissan pick-ups.[/quote]

Thank you very much costaricafinca:D
    That is very helpful of you. British cars are ‘characterful’ I will give you that much. I owned a MGF once. It’s the only car I know of that gets faster the longer you own it. It got lighter and lighter as more and more parts fell off!

I didn’t realise it would just be costaricafinca answering questions and I am mindful that I am taking up your time. May I ask you one last question?
    Would you know of any car dealerships that you would recommend? I would be looking for a Nissan, Toyota or Landy.
    I have read how difficult it can be to find a genuine dealer in SJ so don’t mind traveling if you know of dealer outside of SJ.

Does you husband offer a vehicle check or procurement service?!:D

costaricafinca
    Participant

There is only one dealer for each company, in San Jose and the entire country.
    I said we had had two Nissans, but we did also import a Chevrolet pickup, years ago.
    No, at this point we are in the interior of Guanacaste a long way off from most [i]Gringos[/i] requiring this service,:wink: but he does occasionally go out of this area to repair various types of equipment.

dickjones

Okay thanks for the info. Had to ask about the ‘service’ – you never know.

Anyway, I guess the ‘first car acquisition story’ is a benchmark icebreaker between gringos. I guess I would be doing myself a disservice by getting help with it!

We love Guanacaste, we hope to visit friends that are renovating a finca near Nosara.

All the best and muchas gracias.

sueandchris

Hi Dick:

My husband and I sold both of our cars in the U.S. and purchased a 1984 Landcruiser in superb condition which we shipped in our 40′ containter with our household goods. Literally every mechanic in Costa Rica works on those old Landcruisers and parts are completely easy to obtain. We only paid $2500.00 for the car in the U.S. and the import tax and other miscellaneous fees amounted to another $1500. (This was included in the price of shipping the container from AZ.) Because the vehicle was so much older (and had KPH on the odometer, etc.) the import taxes were really cheap.

When we were getting ready to return to the U.S. we sold the ‘Cruiser very quickly for $6,500.00. Because we still needed a car for a couple of months we used the great company “Wild Rider” to rent long term. Their SUVs are used but reliable and our monthly rate was $650.00. I just used them again for a month this January and my rate was higher because I only needed a month and it was high season. Can’t say enough about their service….they met me at the airport at 7:30 pm and we did the paperwork in the parking lot!! They are online.

Hope this helps. Toss all your expectations out the window and let Costa Rica fill you up with a new and amazing life!

Good luck,

Sue

costaricafinca
    Participant

There has been ‘talk’ of not allowing these older vehicles to be imported but as of now, it is not a problem and of course they must pass the emission test at RITEVE. A vehicle from the UK will be [i]probably[/i] be RHD and will no longer pass the inspection process.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.