More Mail/Phone Questions

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum More Mail/Phone Questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rallycry

1) When using a mail courier service from US what phone number
    do you provide banks,credit card companies,ect? For example
    do you use ARCR service with a Miami addy but provide a Costa
    Rican phone number? Whatis the reaction to that?

2) Is there an economical calling card available to call US from CR?
    There are many options from US to CR but is something like SKYPE
    the only least expensive option going the other way?

Thanks!!!

dreammakers

I’d actually like to know what is the cheapest way to call both ways. My husband spent the last 2 months in CR and I was shocked when I received phone bill.(Not happy at all)Calling from CA to CR was like $4 minute. I am leaving for CR in two days and will need to call back to CA once in a while on this trip. Rent a cell phone the best for local calls? How about international calls?

Thanks,
    Julie

maravilla

$4 a MINUTE??? WOW! When I’m in CR and my husband is in the States we use an MCI calling card that costs about $.30 a minute to Costa Rica. One month of talking 3 – 4 times a week only cost us $30!

If you are interested in renting a cell phone, I know someone who does this; costs about $10 a day for local service. If you want the contact info, let me know.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please see Only 0.20 cents per minute and you can ever have your own programmable 800# at that rate.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There’s also a service that (I think) is affiliated with Vonage which charges $.03 or $.05 per minute to call the U.S.

dreammakers

Thank you. I will definately look into these. I never dreamed AT & T would land me with a $452 phone bill to make a few reservations, talk to friend and husband. I missed my husband and wanted to hear his voice, but not at $120 for 30 min.!

dreammakers

Yes, we’d be interested in your contact as a possibility. I was thinking I know some car rental agencies offer them too. We will be doing much exploring and I’d feel more comfortable having a phone.Thank you.

Post here or you can e-mail me at drmakrs@aol.com

upeCity

Dreammaker,

Contact Enrico (originally from Italy) at http://cellulartelephonerentals.com/

He’s provided us excellent cell phone rental service the last few trips… He’ll meet you at the airport with phone(s) and even give you a lift in his limo to your rental car or hotel… He charges $10 per day with unlimitted local use.

Have a great trip…

Enrique (no relation)

upeCity

dm,
    Do you have a number or url for them… .03-.05 sounds sweet.. Can you dial without a computer or is it like Skype? I’ve been using enlinea (about 0.19 NO Monthly) for outbound calls and ringCentral (0.19 plus a monthly) for inbound…

thanks

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You can reach the office of the “$.03 or $.05” international calling service at 506-220-4594.

simondg

I thought ICE was a monopoly and therefore VOIP or any service that originates in CR should in theory be illegal although there is one company that I understand went to court and won and there are a few more openly operating and servicing the business community.

I have no idea how they get around the law…

*Lotus

ICE must not have the desire/ability to crack down on VOIP users as every internet cafe I have been in offers this service. I never thought about this until I read an article in the Tico Times.

crazyfnmama

Can you tell me the name of the company providing VOIP to the business community? The “no VOIP” is of concern to my husband’s company who are planning to send us down to CR.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If you have a sufficiently fast Internet connection here in Costa Rica, you can use Skype for VOIP. Look at http://www.skype.com.

waggoner41

My wife and I are making calls TO Costa RIca in preparation for our home closing and shipping. We found a calling card at speedypin at: http://speedypin.com/?gclid=CK243NDWlo8CFRUsagodyT7GeQ rates to Costa RIca as low as 2.7 cents from Costa Rica as low as .55 cents.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.