Monthly shipments from USA

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Monthly shipments from USA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lavemder

Please help me to figure it out; if I need to have about 10-15 lb shipped from USA to my house in CR monthly , how do I arrange it?
    I heard there is a “Miami address” some people using?
    Please explain in details, how it can be done.
    Do I have to have a goverment permit or license for it?
    Greatly appreciate any help.
    Lavender

caliskatari
    Participant

You have a few options here.. There is DHL and the USPS that will send international to Costa Rica. It won’t be cheap though and you will have to pay import tax on anything you bring in. People use forwarding addresses in Miami as the cost to ship from there to Costa Rica is cheaper. You won’t need a government license or permit unless its a contraband (and good luck getting one if so..)- ie. certain medicines for example. Most who live here in Costa Rica try to have friends, family or anyone they know coming from the US bring what they need. If you are in the LA Area I know of a shipping company that sends containers every month and charges by the box if needed. It would take up to 2 months for your box to get there (sometimes there really slow shipments), but its untaxed and flat rate, and you just pick it up near the airport in SJ.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There are transshipping companies which operate throughout Central America and the Caribbean and which will bring your shipment here. Aerocasillas is one. JetBox is another.

In each case, they’ll assign you a unique number which must appear in the address which your U.S. shipper uses. The transshippers will give you a Post Office box address and a physical address, in Miami and Doral, Florida respectively. Your U.S. shipper ships your package there and the transshipper brings it into Costa Rica, gets it through Customs, and delivers it to a pick-up site that you designate. They’ll send you an e-mail when the package is available and you can track it online during transit.

None of this comes cheaply, however. And we’ve learned the hard way that any package that weighs more than one kilogram is usually opened for inspection by Costa Rican Customs.

Is there any way to avoid this shipment? Can you do this business online or rely on a domestic source for whatever it is you anticipate receiving?

costaricafinca
    Participant

We often receive parcels sent from Florida using the USPS, and these go to our local post office or delivered to our door, usually in 5-6 days. No PO box.
    Only the last time, when 4 boxes arrived at once, did we have to $5.

orcas0606
    Participant

Could you please post the name and website of this shipper. Don’t think we would be breaking any of Scott’s rules. Thanx

[quote=”caliskatari”]You have a few options here.. There is DHL and the USPS that will send international to Costa Rica. It won’t be cheap though and you will have to pay import tax on anything you bring in. People use forwarding addresses in Miami as the cost to ship from there to Costa Rica is cheaper. You won’t need a government license or permit unless its a contraband (and good luck getting one if so..)- ie. certain medicines for example. Most who live here in Costa Rica try to have friends, family or anyone they know coming from the US bring what they need. If you are in the LA Area I know of a shipping company that sends containers every month and charges by the box if needed. It would take up to 2 months for your box to get there (sometimes there really slow shipments), but its untaxed and flat rate, and you just pick it up near the airport in SJ.[/quote]

caliskatari
    Participant

I will provide a phone number to their office in LA via Private Message if requested. Thanks

lavemder

Thank you all so much for your responses.
    I will definetely get in touch with you as soon as we finalise the move to CR.
    Lavender

mysticmaiden

Call Aerocasillas or Interlink, they provide a Miami address and options of 5-10 lbs. per month depending on your needs.
    They deliver to your door.

Good luck
    [quote=”lavemder”]Thank you all so much for your responses.
    I will definetely get in touch with you as soon as we finalise the move to CR.
    Lavender[/quote]

lavemder

Tbank you so much!
    Do you have these companies Phone # by any chance?
    Greatly appreciate the info. Good day.
    Lavender

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.