Money Exchange

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Money Exchange

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ROBERTPUTTR3

Can anybody advise me on the best way to carry money as far as travelers checks or cash then convert it to colons? I have heard that the banks are really busy and limited we will beflying in to Liberia at night, then going to Samara Beach.
    Thanx
    R.H

Andrew
    Keymaster

There are many, many, many places in the tourist areas that would be happy to accept US dollars and your US credit cards.

Scott

jasman

Don’t bother with travelers checks, most places don’t like them, I hear. Bring cash, small bills, and your ATM card from your regular bank, which will work in CR. You can withdraw either dollars or colones at most machines, I believe. And your Visa, of course. Dollars can be converted to colones at most hotels, which I believe is the best place. Banks take too long, and many other businesses probably won’t give you the correct exchange rate.

This is my understanding from what I have read. If someone has more accurate information, please share.

mollyjim

Jasman’s understanding is accurate. ATMs are everywhere; Scotia Bank ATMs read in English just like our Wells Fargo ones at home, so we felt very comfortable using them. We used colones far more than we used dollars, and hotels generally have the exchange rate posted in the lobby.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

ATMs are common in Costa Rica and use the Cirrus and Plus networks. If your card uses those, you’re in. Deal in colones rather than dollars and you’ll automatically get the right exchange rate. When you go to the ATM, do a withdrawal in colones, then spend them in the local economy. I’m skeptical about exchanging dollars anyplace except a bank. You never know what rate they’re giving you.

Bring $50 or $100 and exchange as little as possible on your way out of the airport, then head for an ATM.

American Express Traveler’s Cheques (not VISA) can be exchanged at banks, but lines are sometimes long and the process requires a great deal of chin stroking and bureaucratic “Harumph”ing. Since they take 30 – 45 days to clear, nobody wants them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.