migracion/ residency certification of my pension

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum migracion/ residency certification of my pension

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rheeren

My husband and I are very close to completing the requirements for our Residencia Temporal.One snag ~ Migracion tells us we need to have a certification, from the Embassy, for the pension from my employer as being “for life”. Embassy states that they can certify a Federal Pension. They recommend going to Consul in New York for other.
    We had a Costa Rican Accountant draw up a certificate, in Spanish, verifying that the pension is valid, with Federal Tax ID from the Financial Institution that distributes the funds monthly.
    Any suggestions?
    R&J

markus
    Participant

I don’t know the answer to the question. However, my wife and I just got our residences in CR. we worked with the folks at Costa Rica Residency. I have to say, they are great, knowledgeable, and very professional. I am sure they will know the answer to the question.

Javier

The prior writer sent me a copy of your message and suggested I should comment on your question.

The U.S. Embassy in San José can only issue pension letters that arise out your service and retirement from certain for federal agencies. Some of those pensions come from the armed forces, most U.S. Civil Service pensions, Social Security Administration benefits, Railroad Retirement, etc.

It appears from your message that your pension comes from either: a private company (Ford, Boeing, AT&T, etc.), a nonfederal governmental agency (school district, a state retirement plan, etc.) or a personal retirement account (401K/SEP/IRA/Keogh, trust fund, etc.), and not from the U.S. government or Social Security.

If that were the case, you would need to contact your pension plan administrator to request the plan administrator issue a “pension plan benefit letter” which will need to clearly indicate that (a) you retired on date xxx, (b) you are currently receiving a pension benefit of $xxxxx per month, (c) and the MANDATORY ELEMENT:, that your pension benefits are “payable for life.” If the words “for life” do not appear on the letter, Migracion will reject the letter as not meeting the requirement for pension income. The signature of whoever signs the letter MUST be notarized, and the letter then has to be apostilled by the Secretary of State for the state where the letter was issued.

Unless the pension comes from a multinational company with extensive presence in Costa Rica (Intel is the only company that comes to mind that could possibly qualify), a Costa Rican accountant/CPA does NOT have the authority or jurisdiction to certify a pension from abroad. Whoever told you the Costa Rican CPA letter would work was badly misinformed.

I hope this shed some light on your question. I can be contacted off line if you have any other questions.

Cordialmente,

Javier Zavaleta
    Residency in Costa Rica
    Tel (323) 255-6116 – Fax (323) 344-1620
    http://www.residencyincostarica.com

[quote=”rheeren”]My husband and I are very close to completing the requirements for our Residencia Temporal.One snag ~ Migracion tells us we need to have a certification, from the Embassy, for the pension from my employer as being “for life”. Embassy states that they can certify a Federal Pension. They recommend going to Consul in New York for other.
    We had a Costa Rican Accountant draw up a certificate, in Spanish, verifying that the pension is valid, with Federal Tax ID from the Financial Institution that distributes the funds monthly.
    Any suggestions?
    R&J[/quote]

maravilla

javier — funny you should be responding to this issue because i just sent you an email about the same thing. i renewed my cedula and went to pick it up on friday, but there was only a notification that i had to appear at la migra in july with a document stating that my pension is still valid. i thought when you did my residency that the letter we obtained from the embajada stated that my pension was for life. i hope to hear from you about how best to deal with this. thanks.

davidd

Javier

do you guys handle citizenship and obtaining costa rica passport???

I have been married for a few years and we had divorced 2 years ago so I know I am eligible

and now I also have 2 kids that are born here.

I am currently a permanent resident

let me know

thanks

David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.