Memorial Day Angels of Freedom

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Memorial Day Angels of Freedom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    2bncr

As I write in Costa Rica now, I live as a free man. It personally disgusts me to see others compromise their freedom that many have died for because they are either lazy or scared. Many of us make dishonorable personal decisions, but not so the angels of freedom.

I am not crazy about our wasteful oversized government, but one thing I am prejudiced about is the love of my country. When the cowards hit the Twin Towers almost everyone wanted to stay off airplanes, I had an almost irresistible urge to get on a plane back to the US and defend my country. I monitored the news to see if there were going to be more attacks, and if so, I was leaving for the US.

Solider are sacred. Sacred seems like a funny word to use as they kill on order. Yet to kill what needs killing is hardly violent. What is violent is to go against what is natural: balance. Peace is natural, a state of balance.

Our soldiers are not perfect, but they are angels. Hell’s angels at times. They deliver the message by fire and action. A worldwide message declaring that upsetting the natural order of peace, through oppression, is intolerable and will result in unfavorable consequence to the oppressor.

The majority of our soldiers are men who fight to protect us. The key word here is fight. The next key word is protecting. In the US, most families feel protected because they live in a state of relative peace and balance. This discounts the strong male who protects his family. Like the Samurai who were rendered useless after the unification of Japan, so too the strong males who protect us are neglected, at times unappreciated and more and more seen as irrelevant.

Memorial Day is about those who died in war; nevertheless, what about the warriors who never went to war, such as our firefighters, police, customs agents. What about the man who takes time to be a guardian by arming body and mind and mentally preparing himself to accept what he must do to another and what may happen to him when doing whatever it takes to protect his loved ones? I say memorialize them today by your remembrances.

Let’s also remember that our nation polices the world. It is a thankless job. Those who have died deserve to have their names spoken so as not to perish from our memories, and thus be eternally present. However, let’s also remember those who protect us at home, the man of the house who says no harm will come to my family on my watch.

So to those who protect us at home, those who may not wear a uniform, but those who keep ready to fight for who and what means most to us as Americans, family and freedom, I salute you. I raise my hand, as a knight of old lifting his face shields to reveal that I am friend, not foe, to all those who are bold enough to stand guard in the home and on foreign soil. Those who will die before letting harm occur on their watch.

This is a sacred day. Not just for our passed veterans but all those who are willing to do what men do: doing that which does not profit them by committing the ultimate sacrifice for what is bigger than they are, the balance and peace that allows us and other nations such as Costa Rica to flourish and remain safe. They are the lovers and guardians of peace, balance and freedom throughout the world – and at home. They are angels of freedom.

costaricabill
    Participant

Thank You, well said!

2bncr

You are welcome. I always feel that people should SHOW their appreciation [u]not just say it[/u]. Take time to make a gesture or write a note or place a flower or make a phone call or donate to a veterans fund.

The cushy life most americans lead is built on the bedrock of our fighting men and women. They do a crucial job for a less than crucial-job price. We should all ackowledge them by at least taking a moment to write something about those who have SERVED US.

edlreed

I’ve sat on this for 2 days. Don’t respond, I thought. Even if I was not a veteran, however, some things need addressing. Otherwise, I might have to wait till Mother’s day to get such a deeply poignant missive from you. Cowards? If these people are cowards, why do we need heroes? Cowards they weren’t. You’re free. In CR, soaking up the sun. Yet someone else doesn’t have the freedom to be scared? hey, even lazy? That’s disgusting you say.
    Too many “I’s” and political viewpoints in your declaration of vicarious honor you bestow. You REALLY think our kids are dying so you can live in Costa Rica? Or I can be “lazy”. You think they also don’t understand the politics and flagrant waste of their lives? Ask them while you put down those “almost irresistible urges” you have? They die for the guys standing next to them. Next time you wax poetic, consider this. The days of the “I’ll be the guy carrying the stars and stripes to the top of this hill in the middle of nowhere”…are gone.
    I served (voluntarily) and as with most, if not all 19 year olds, had no clue why when I joined, 1963. When I left the army (honorably, 1967), I left emotionally damaged at the pitiful waste of my peers lives and I live my life to a huge part…for them. NOT in this vision you cast for us. So yeah, bud, I’m scared. Scared that once again, I’ll sit on my hands while more 19 year olds die…for nothing.

2bncr

Don’t get your point. The cowards were the hijackers who hit the twin towers.
    My point is that to protect you have to deal with your fears. If we had more courageous citizenry we would have a better country.

The “I” s are used because its personal to me. There is nothing vicarious about my honor. Just the opposite actually. I am not honoring veterans through watching and doing nothing (vicariously). I acted to show appreciation through communicating my sentiments.

My intent is to honor those who have served the country. Whether my government has earned my allegiance is one thing. The people who fight for my country is something else. They will always have my allegiance, sympathy for their families loses and respect.

They are not dying for me and my freedom to live in Costa Rica, but I believe those who have died did so for the reason they entered the service: protecting our way of life. “Die for nothing” you write. I respectfully disagree.

I don’t see the political viewpoints in my post – just that I am against a wasteful government. Freedom is not a free download. Anyone who has had their freedom taken away knows how valuable it is. Whatever your politics are I think you would agree that people of our country have earned their freedom. I appreciate my freedom. That’s why I wrote the post.

I hear you about the tragedies of war. Not all life lost in service is wasted. Yes there have been unjust wars. Opening that can of worms would be politics.

Soldiers fight on command. They go into whatever battle they are sent. Do you think they should choose? Isn’t that what responsible energetic courageous citizens are supposed to do by their support or opposition to the issues and the policy makers. Do you think those protesting Vietnam made a difference? I do. There are many people that could be protesting the current wars, but I don’t see the numbers. That is what the too lazy or scared remark was all about.

You want to see an example of citizens that are not lazy or scared – look at the humanitarian effort for the Gaza and Palestinians. Regardless of your politics, those people are energetic and courageous.

Let’s just eliminate war. And money and sickness and all other inequities. But until they do, I thank the soldiers that are out there protecting us regardless of their personal motivations.

edlreed

[quote=”2BNCR”]Don’t get your point. The cowards were the hijackers who hit the twin towers.

Let’s just eliminate war. And money and sickness and all other inequities. But until they do, I thank the soldiers that are out there protecting us regardless of their personal motivations.[/quote]

I already knew you wouldn’t get my point. If you REALLY think those killers were cowards, its obvious you have not put yourself in harms way as they do (OUR kids…and them). Let me pose this scenario. 20 year old corporals, sitting at a desk in Texas, “piloting” a drone from what [i]their[/i] reality tells them is a video game, that fires missiles into villages IN a country supposedly our ally in the “War on Terrorism”. A hero? Or…? By posing this, I in no way disrespect that young soldier. I worry for his mental health as he comes to know he wiped out a family of ten. From around the world. With, literally, no blood on his hands. I worry about his family, so happy that he had found such a “responsible” job, until they too discover just what he has done in his three years. Killer by proxy.

Your last paragraph would have sufficed, for both of us. I’ve said enough. I apologize to those who for whatever reasons find this too sensitive a topic, and inappropriate to this forum.

2bncr

I disagree with you completely.

There is a huge difference between collateral damage and targeting civilians.

Please don’t play the holier than thou part about harm’s way. That’s like saying you can’t have a say on the black experience without being black.

I was just trying to be respectful for the service man’s sacrifice. Can you say the same? To me you are denigrating it by saying their service was in vain.

[u]I think that our troops protecting and policing the world are appropriate to this forum. [/u]We provide the peace that allows many nations to thrive and it is at a great expense to us taxpayers (which I pay a bunch). When you pay six figures in taxes, you will understand my right to comment on how it is spent. The money is one thing, the service and life lost is another. I think it is right to respect and appreciate both.

Maybe your topic is too sensitive for you and others, but I believe that appreciation (my topic) is not an overly sensitive one. That was all I was trying to convey. And I do not apologize for that. You read other things on your agenda into my post and basically high jacked it. You also denigrated my intentions. Now you insinuate it is too sensitive. Nice try to close it down.

I think our troops deserve more than you are willing to give them as far as their personal motives for fighting. I think you have transposed your motive to theirs. Appreciation is the highest form of awareness. Try it sometimes. One size fits all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.