MEASUREMENTS in COSTA RICA LAND JARGON

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum MEASUREMENTS in COSTA RICA LAND JARGON

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rahulthack

1 meter= 3.28 feet
    1 foot=0.304 meters
    1 sq.meter=10.76 sq.meter
    1 sq.foot=0.093sq.meter
    1sq.vara=0.70sq.meter
    1 acre=0.405 hectare
    1 hectare=2.47 acres
    1 manzan=1.73 acres
    1 acre=4,049 sq.meters
    1 manzana=10,000 sq.varas
    1 hectare=10,000 sq.meters
    I copied this for you all fromReas Estate and Tourism Guide.
    Rahul Thacker,MD
    949-494-6317

Goomba

Not quite: 1 sq. meter=10.76 sq. feet

wmaes47

Cut ‘n Paste only shows the intelligence of the author…

Bill Maes

rahulthack

with same intelligence I practiced surgery for 35 years!! I ju wanted to help not show off

rahulthack

Thanks Goomba!!!
    Sorry for typo

guru

Note that the vara (a length unit) and the manzana (area unit) derived from the vara are different in each country that use them (a very few agree). If you check more than one Costa Rican realestate site with a conversion table or calculator you will find they many do not agree, WITHIN Costa Rica.

When I last looked I could not find an “official” Costa Rican conversion factor for these units. I am sure there is one but I would like to see it from an official government source.

Knowing the approximate conversions is good when discussing land because everyone in Costa Rica uses these terms (and others as well). But when you go to buy have the survey in Meters if you really want to know what you have.

The problem with non-standard units still troubles many industries (such as sheet metal in gauge or weight) and it is recommended to use either the Inch/Foot or Metric system as both are recognized international standards if you want to be absolutly certain about dimensions.

Personaly I do not care about fine details of area but I DO want to see properly marked metes and bounds with metal or stone monuments that can be found and that the neighbors agree are correct. Wooden stakes are something that is easily moved and that you pay for over and over.

Did you know that you can walk into most Tico Ferreaterias (hardware stores) and purchase metric OR english fasteners? Most Tico workmen can also work in both metric and English units. This is something few people do anywhere other than Central America.

wmaes47

rahulthack

I was referring to the author, not your intelligence.

You only Cut ‘n Paste the chart from another source.

Bill Maes

senta

I believe strongly that ticos only work partially also with US inches and feet 1) most materials and tools come from US 2) gringos insist on it. even thou metric is so much easier. Lets face it: at least 95% of the world is metric.

rahulthack

Thanks Bill
    RT

Gr1ng0T1c0

Carpenters routinely work with inches & feet in Costa Rica. Pretty much everything else I know about is officially metric if they can get away with it. “Varas” is definitely not an official term. I didn’t know manzanas were derived from varas. Just one more measurement scale born from floating roots I guess, like poverty & literacy rates, crime indexes, and the concept of time in Tiquicia.

Thanks for the post Rahul. I don’t care what they say about you! But tell me Doc, how many square varas is an average stomach after ingesting 6 fingers of guaro Casique (Black label, I’m high class…)?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.