Malaria scare?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Malaria scare?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rankingee

Just got back from a week at Mal Pais. Before I went I checked with the CDC website and a couple of other medical websites regarding precautions in CR. They all said to take antimalaria pills as mosquitos were a problem along the coast in northwestern CR. Boy were they wrong! There was not one, and I mean one mosquito the whole week. We even slept with the windows open in our cabina with no mosquito net. Not even a bite from any thing. Although we did have some rouge crabs and other criters, nothing that bites. So if you go to Mal Pais or Santa Theresa for the surf, save the pills.

rich
    lake arrowhead, ca

koty

I have to agree with you. We went down to Dominical and by Hermosa and did not see one mosquito even though it rained a little each day. Lots of bats and geckos and toads to eat them all I guess. My parents went on a tour all over and were even up on the carribean side in Tortuguero and they said they did not see one mosquito the whole trip! I agree, save the pills!

*Lotus

I have been bitten maybe twice in five years It seems certain weeks or months can also be bug free, how ever my girlfriend can not walk out especially at sunset with out deet on. She gets bitten quite a lot, and near the coast there is potential for big run ins with mosquito’s, we had someone at our hotel last august who came down with dengue. Believe me folks they are there just read the reports in the local papers regarding dengue! So enjoy but exercise caution, malaria is near non existent but dengue has been a bit of a problem, lets hope the government steps things up and community’s eliminate standing water.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.