Maintaining U.S. Drivers License

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Maintaining U.S. Drivers License

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I’m in the final planning phase of our full-time relocation to Costa Rica. Next item on my list, how to maintain a U.S. drivers license; I am currently in Pennsylvania. We will have our licenses renewed a month before we depart, and the license will be current for four years. If possible, I would like to maintain a U.S. drivers license, as a Plan B. However, we will also be acquiring CR licenses. Other than comming back every four years. However, selling our U.S. house, and not being able to provide a current Pennsylvania address for a renewal,I would hate to have to retake the entire drivers written exam all over again. Can any member provide me with some insights, experience and advice, in regard to this matter?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

When we’ve revisited Michigan, we’ve always borrowed Marcia’s sister’s car. Before I agreed to do this the first time, I insisted that she (Marcia’s sister) verify with her insurance company tht we could drive the car legally using only our Costa Rican driver’s licenses. The insurance company assured her that our use of the car would be perfectly legal and that their insurance would cover any loss we might incur.

So perhaps you don’t really need a U.S. driver’s license at all.

Driving in the U.S. on your C.R. license would the same as any tourist from the States renting a car here in Costa Rica.

maravilla

there is really no need to maintain your US DL if you have a CR DL.

sstarkey

I’ve been living out of the US off and on (mainly off) since 1995. Costa Rica is the 4th country I’ve lived in in the years since. I maintain a California Driver license simply by renting a PO Box at a UPS Store which has given me a permanent address in CA and I simply renew the license when necessary which occasionally means showing up in California.

I use this address to renew my drivers license and keep in the ‘voter’ loop. Although I care less and less about voting for officials such as the local dogcatcher in my old ‘hood, my permanent address ensures I am in the loop for more important electoral events. Jury Duty notices DO present a problem – however when I tell them I’m living in Timbuktu and NOT actually residing inside the confines of a 7″ by 5″ mailbox the Jury Duty Police generally leave me alone.

The other benefit of this PO Box is that the UPS Store will forward my mail to me wherever in the world I live and my US banks / credit card companies, etc. all still think I’m in the US which makes life a lot easier in some respects since most of these entities think the world outside of the US doesn’t exist (in other words, they refuse to send mail to you if you’re not inside the border).

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the insights and advice! Pura Vida.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.