Mail arrangements ??

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Mail arrangements ??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Vmc

Hola everyone!

We will be on the ground May 1, and are wondering how everyone handles their mail to/from the US. We’re gearing up and will be on our way before we know it and are trying to get everything set up….can anyone impart some wisdom in my general direction?

We can’t wait!! May 1st can’t get here soon enough!

Pura Vida!

maravilla

i had the USPS forward my mail to CR. takes two weeks to get here. i went to paperless billing for most everything but my mortgage company couldn’t do that. i did have an aerocasillas account but i find them insanely pricey, charging $1.50 for each letter, and a small fortune for anything more than that. the correo here is pretty efficient. i have things sent to me in-country and out of country and everything has gotten here. it just takes time.

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]i had the USPS forward my mail to CR. takes two weeks to get here. i went to paperless billing for most everything but my mortgage company couldn’t do that. i did have an aerocasillas account but i find them insanely pricey, charging $1.50 for each letter, and a small fortune for anything more than that. the correo here is pretty efficient. i have things sent to me in-country and out of country and everything has gotten here. it just takes time.[/quote]

Have you found that mail actually makes it to your house, or are you using a post office?

I know these might be dumb questions, but until My Spanish gets better, and we’ve been there a while, I’m going to sound like a blithering gringo……….LOL

maravilla

i have a PO box. come on, with the addresses they have here, and no street numbers, much less street names, uh, i wouldn’t trust the mail to get here that way.

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]i have a PO box. come on, with the addresses they have here, and no street numbers, much less street names, uh, i wouldn’t trust the mail to get here that way.[/quote]

LOL…….. I had it figured that way. Thanks for the confirmation! You have helped us a lot in the last couple of years that we have been building up to this move, and we appreciate it!

Do you have any problems with larger packages?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Often, if you live in a rural area, you will get mail delivered to your door. We do.
    If you have larger package, chances are that you will need to go to a specified post office,to pick it up as you may have to pay duty on the contents.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We live on a dead end road 7.5km from downtown Grecia and we get mail delivered to our door based upon the “descriptive” Costa Rican addressing system. Once the local carrier knows who you are, there should be no problem. We get mail from ARCR, from friends in Great Britain, and from U.S. Social Security this way. In fact, one time ARCR got their label-generation process bolluxed up and sent us our monthly CAJA enrollment confirmations to

my name
    our home phone number
    Grecia, Alajuela

and it arrived just fine.

Social Security will not use your Aerocasillas address in Miami, so you must provide them with either a post office box or a descriptive address here in Costa Rica.

And we’ve obviously been too helpful in the past. Whenever the mail carrier can’t identify a recipient with a non-Hispanic name, he brings the mail to us to help him locate the party.

Vmc

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]We live on a dead end road 7.5km from downtown Grecia and we get mail delivered to our door based upon the “descriptive” Costa Rican addressing system. Once the local carrier knows who you are, there should be no problem. We get mail from ARCR, from friends in Great Britain, and from U.S. Social Security this way. In fact, one time ARCR got their label-generation process bolluxed up and sent us our monthly CAJA enrollment confirmations to

my name
    our home phone number
    Grecia, Alajuela

and it arrived just fine.

Social Security will not use your Aerocasillas address in Miami, so you must provide them with either a post office box or a descriptive address here in Costa Rica.

And we’ve obviously been too helpful in the past. Whenever the mail carrier can’t identify a recipient with a non-Hispanic name, he brings the mail to us to help him locate the party.
    [/quote]

David…you have always been helpful to everyone WE have read about, and YOU TOO Trisha……I’m glad you guys are there, so we “Tender-Foots” can hit the ground without being scared!……..LOL

Thank you guys, we hope to be shaking your hands in person one day soon!

maravilla

before i got the APDO i did get my bank statements delivered to my house with one of those crazy 100 m N y 200 m E of the pupleria addresses but because i wasn’t here all the time in the beginning i got the post office box. i have gotten packaged delivered there with no problem.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I should have said earlier that we also do use Aerocasillas to forward mail and packages from their depot in Miami. Nobody said “cheap”, few shut, but the service is reliable and they have an office in downtown Grecia which is convenient for us.

We have turned every statement, bill, etc in favor of electronic delivery and thus avoid a lot of Aerocasillas’ costs. A couple of outfits just won’t take us off their physical mail lists, so lately I’ve changed our address in their records to their own mailing address. They can send me all the mail they want at care of their offices. I’ll pick it up when I’m in town (which will be never).

Vmc

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]I should have said earlier that we also do use Aerocasillas to forward mail and packages from their depot in Miami. Nobody said “cheap”, few shut, but the service is reliable and they have an office in downtown Grecia which is convenient for us.

We have turned every statement, bill, etc in favor of electronic delivery and thus avoid a lot of Aerocasillas’ costs. A couple of outfits just won’t take us off their physical mail lists, so lately I’ve changed our address in their records to their own mailing address. They can send me all the mail they want at care of their offices. I’ll pick it up when I’m in town (which will be never).
    [/quote]

Thanks Dave….I need to find out where the closest office to us would be and we’ll probably do the same!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.