Luxury tax on homes.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Luxury tax on homes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

The other day I talked via Skype to one of my female cousins in Costa Rica. According to her there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the current government of Chinchilla. Not only are taxes going up, but food prices as well. Her son, who works for HP is worried about his job.
    Anyways, I came across this short article on sovereignman.com relating to the luxury tax on homes that some of you might find interesting.
    I think the luxury tax on homes kicks in for homes over $250K, but will the government in their desperation lower that to $150K? Or lower? As usual, the government will always do the wrong thing bringing terrible consequences, before wising up and correcting the situation. And then they claim credit for fixing the problem!

Sailor

I am one of many, who now pay the new property luxury tax! Prior to the new tax, I had been considering purchasing another beachfront. Well, that is no longer an option, considering the new luxury property tax. Instead, I will just buy another yacht, keep it registered in Panama, moored in Guancaste……and write-off the boat expenses, on my federal income tax!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I too pay the new luxury property tax here in Costa Rica on my apartment and it’s equivalent to the property taxes I paid on our home in Westchester County, NY.

The big difference is that what I paid every month in property taxes and school taxes in NY over 20 years ago, I now pay each year here in Costa Rica….

I’m certainly not thrilled with paying more of my hard earned money to politicians who – no matter which country you’re in – tend to waste it but we still love living Costa Rica.

Scott

aguirrewar

3,000 sq ft and I pay $1,300,00 in property taxes

920 sq ft in CR and I pay $398.00 A YEAR

someone needs to do the MATH

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”aguirrewar”]3,000 sq ft and I pay $1,300,00 in property taxes

920 sq ft in CR and I pay $398.00 A YEAR

someone needs to do the MATH[/quote]

Care to elucidate?

johnnyh

I wholeheartedly agree as I have a particular attachment to Costa Rica. After all, I was born there, and have a lot of family from my mother’s side living in Costa Rica. And as some of you know I have the choice of dual citizenship which I will be exercising hopefully within a few years.
    😀

costaricafinca
    Participant

Read the article on today’s [url=http://insidecostarica.com/2013/03/05/cost-of-living-in-costa-rica-increases-at-fastest-rate-in-eight-years/]Insidecostarica[/url] regarding the increase of the cost of living in Costa Rica, at the fastest rate in eight years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.