Looking to share a container from Florida to CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Looking to share a container from Florida to CR

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We are looking to ship down some things, mostly furniture from South Florida, and it seems best that we find a way to share with others.
    We have enough for maybe half of a 40 foot container.
    I’ve looked into consolidated container shipping, and the price to fill less then half the 40 ft countainer costs about the same as filling up the whole thing.
    There are two of us here in Quepos/Manuel Antonio, and we are looking for someone else interested in taking the other half.
    Like I said, it will be almost all furniture, and perhaps a few odds and ends of used household items.
    I am assuming that there will be a way that all parties can be assured that there is no “funny business” going on, so we can all feel comfortable that no one is bringing on anything that they are not supposed to.
    From writing to a few of the shipping companies, it sounds like if everything is household items, then it is a pre-priced easy financial figure to come up with.
    We can be ready pretty quickly, maybe sometime in April or May?
    Lastly, we have been living here for a few years now, and we are quite sure now that we want these items, as we have exausted the sources here, unless someone on this forum has a great deal on Indian and Indonesian classical furniture…..It’s very expensive here for the “good stuff”
    Ok, so we are very interested in making this happen, and we are not into any scam stuff so let us know if you are interested in looking into this together.
    Mark.

jreeves

We shipped a 20 foot container in 2007. The price was cheaper than sending the 40 foot (we also didn’t have enough to fill a 40 foot). Have you looked into just doing a 20 foot container?

Jessica

I haven’t gotten a quote recently on a 20 footer, but my understanding is that the cost is around 75% of the cost of the 40 foot, so it’s not really an efficiant way to do it cost wise. I’ll check again and see though, thanks for the suggestion.

jreeves

Our 20-foot container was around $5600 in 2007. I don’t know how much the shipping charges or customs duties have changed since then. I also know many shippers will do container consolidation & pair you up with someone if you don’t have a full container.

Jessica

OTTFOG

Another idea for you is to find someone that wants to ship a vehicle down to take the other half of your container. Does anyone on the list need to ship a vehicle? Good luck and Pura Vida. Jerry

jreeves

I’m actually shipping a Land Rover down in about a month. We already have our quote (the same person will handle it who handled our container when we initially moved). We will be shipping it from Ft. Lauderdale. My house is near Esterillos so only about 30-40 minutes from you (I’m currently in FL getting the vehicle serviced & prepped for shipping). I don’t know if there is a way you can message me on this site? I can put you in touch with our shipper. I just don’t want to post my e-mail address on here.

Jessica

Jessica, I just saw your post, and sent you a “personal message” with my email address. Love to hear back from you.
    Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.