Looking for folks who love soul people & soul

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Looking for folks who love soul people & soul

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jenny

My husband and I have been living in Costa Rica for 4 years now and we have yet to meet a couple that really love soul. People who love to sing loud, pat there feet and clap there hands in church. People that appreciate Lou Rawls, BB King and Stevie Wonder, just to name a few. Understanding grits and fish, collard greens and cornbread, fat back and green beans, chitterlings (to be proper), fried porkchops, ham and red eye gravy.

Come on down to Costa Rica, check out the easy living and wonderful friendships of the Costa Rican people. The people here know Italian, french, Spanish, German, and some North American cuisine but they do not know the soulful part of the North American life. Come on to Costa Rica bring you recipes with you. Life is great, you will love the people of Costa Rica.

Enjoy the good life that Costa Rica has to offer.

kemetic

Hey Jenny, born and raised in Chicago but spend much time in C.R. My Fiancee is Tica. I paln to move there soon. I love CR but it seems like the ONLY thing missing from this beautiful country is SOUL…
    Maybe all of us can get together and bring some SOUL POWER to CR. I think the Ticos would love it.

Have you visited the Caribean coast? Limon, Puerto Viejo etc.?? I would imagine that is the closest to SOUL.

jenny

Sorry, but the Caribean is not really soul. Soul is cornbread, red beans and rice, collard greens, peach cobbler, chitterlings, fish and gritts and discussions about sweet potato pie.

Now, that kinda soul can be a combination of many people but usually soul is pertaining to those who know where you come from and the language you speak. It is not associated with complexion of skin. Soul people can come in many colors. The people in Limon are wonderful and we visit often but it is not what I am talking about. Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Jenny

Jenny,
    Soulfood will be landing at 1Pm Tuesday in San Jose,..
    Will see you shortly after that.
    That is if it is not confiscated!!
    Phil

jenny

Stop emailing and get on the bus gus. We will pray it will not be taken for sure. See you in the noon day, it is going to be great just to talk about soul food, an extra plus to eat it. I fixed some crabs for the pot. We can get shrimp the day before.

sledger

Soul food in costa rica sounds great. Correct me if I am wrong I hear that smoked pork is a meat (ie ham hocks and bacon) that is not readily available in Costa Rica. My husband and I are renting a house for a month in april. I would like to bring a bit of soul in our luggage. Will they confiscate it. I would also like to bring some spices like old bay and seasoned salt. I look forward to spending some of our vacation cooking the local faire with a soulful twist. Any information would be appreciated.

Peace
    Mona

jenny

Mona this is Jenny whose house you will be renting”surprise, surprise” you can bring sausage and smoked meats in fact almost anything in. We just had some guest that came with cheese and smoked sausage. Gumbo was great. They were a couple from Mississippi with a lot of soul. We had a good time.

We do not have old bay seasoning. Please do not forget the collard green seeds. You will not have any trouble just do not hold them up and ask a questions. Many people ship steak freezer packed in and nothing is said. I have been through customs many times and the only thing they ask about are computers in boxes and other electronic equipment because they make customs money off most of those items. I have gotten sweet potatoes, my guest who came in Nov. put them in his suitcase without any problems. Come on I am going on a diet the week before you get here. Jenny

jenny

We just had a guest that proved real “SOUL” is a way of life and some of the foods you have grown up with, which are a great part of your tradtions. We just had some blue-eyed Blonde soul that visited with us and they got down. I ate gumbo for days, they cooked rice pudding and some other soul dishes.

This couple introduced me to two people that look like soul who live in our community in Grecia. I never saw them and they have lived here for one year. Well after talking to them I realized that they were not soul.

The reason I am saying this is because their just may be someone who does not look like what we describe as soul but they are. Soul comes in all sorts of colors the common string is this. Corn bread, banana pudding, collard green, grits, peach cobbler pie, pound cake, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, gumbo, jambalya, fried chicken, green beans and potatoes, neck bones, pork chops, ham and red eye gravey. Just to name a few things. oops…dont forget the mac and cheese.

So is it soul or maybe it is southern soul. Soul people know about gospel music, jazz, blues and country. Sopping gravey using your fingers as the tool, sopping with bisquits or cornbread.
    Hush puppies, blackeyed peas, fried catfish. Soul is a way of life, people that are about living

sledger

Hey Girlfriend I thought that was you. Thanks for the info. I love this website, a base for many other resources. Well get ready another deminsion of soul is coming your way soon. peace mona

jenny

We are looking forward to your visit. You are making me as excited as you all are and I live here (smile). See you soon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.