Looking for a land between 1.5 to 10K/hectare?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Looking for a land between 1.5 to 10K/hectare?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    micololo

I went to several places in CR where it still possible to find lands at those prices with fantastic views, rivers-creeks, water services and electricity.

I start finding those lands at about 45 mins from San Jose. Forget the region of Atenas-San Ramon etc., near south of San Jose where are (to my opinion) very to expensive. I didn’t find too in the Arenal lake region. (It doesn’t meen that you wont find but I would be suprise)

Since now 3 years that I’m looking for lands for sale in CR. I’ve never found those bargains on the web (where it looks like they are the most expensives). I found some in the little local newspapers.

The best way were living in the interesting area for a little while, renting a tico house, using buses-taxis as transportation and living with ticos. This way it’s incredible how quick you can make friends. After a week or 2 in place we are often inviting for supper. It was like this everywhere I went. Your messages is traveling very very quick. This way I found several beautifull properties at the prizes on the title of this thread.

Speaking spanish is an AMAZING advantage, would say a most. People of CR are very proud of their country so in your discussions you’ll get a lot praising the country.

I do now have several properties on my list and looking to buy more in the future.

sprite

I agree that the San Ramon area has gone up in value by three to four times what it was worth just three years ago and this is, amazingly, happening in a very bad economic downturn. However, like the stock market, price tells you everything you need to know. There are reasons for the higher values around San Jose and other larger cities. One important obvious reason is the nearness of amenities and essential services. If you are able to do without such things, which the vast majority of expats are NOT, I am sure there are a lot of parcels of extraordinarily beautiful land to be had for much less money. I assume you are a young, healthy and adventerous person perhaps without the need to find good schools for children or fast, reliable internet or hospital emergency services.

I am curious as to what price per square meter you are looking at and in what region.

micololo

Hi Sprite

Till now I found those lands north, north-est of San Jose, south Cartago, around San Isidro del General, around Turrialba and Siquirres. From all those places I prefer by far the area of Turrialba, from Moravia to Pacayas. Till now in CR I didn’t visit the south-west and north-west area. Still to do.

All those places give what I need (pharmacies, good food, furniture, construction materials, hardware store, vetenerians …) entre 20 y 45 minutos de carratera. I’m not young (52 years of age), yes I’m healthy and don’t consider me adventurous. Those places look more secure than San Jose who looks more a dangerous jungle to me. Right I don’t need good schools and fast internet speed connexion (anyway I’m use to it, it is not available here where I live in Québec).

Price per square meter? Easy to count: there are 10 000 square meters per hectare. So it gives the price of $0.15 to $1 per square meter.

Edited on Jul 09, 2009 13:56

sprite

I have briefly visited those areas and have noted the lower costs for land compared to Alajuela, Naranjo and San Ramon. I also do not care to be too close to San Jose.
    How easily accessible is decent medical treatment in that area compared to areas closewr to San Jose?

micololo

From the lands I’ve found north of San Jose It takes similar time to go to San Jose than San Ramon, Atenas etc. maybe 15 to 30 minutes more depending where you’re going in San Jose, Heredia, Alajuela.

In the little city of Turrialba there are an Hospital, ambulance services, fireman, several doctors and vetenerians, a university, C.A.T.I.E., a farmers market, hardware stores, decent supermarkets (like Maxi), super good taxi and bus services. Lots of little boutiques. People riding horses. I’ve seen some people coming to church with their horse letting them alone between two cars in front of the church while the owner is inside!

It’s between 30 to 45 min to Cartago. I’ve seen several houses in the country around without bars or fences. Some places between Santa Cruz and Verbena Sur give you fantastic views on the Talamanca or the Atlantic ocean or the volcanos. On the other side Tuis, La Suiza and others are a little bit hotter and have stunning views from their hills. I’ve seen only a few expats there so if you’re not affraid to live with Ticos instead of living in gated community … Anyway if you own a good size of land you wont see your neighboors.

The people are friendly and eager to help and have great family values. It’s reminding me the 50’s or 60’s mentality we use to have over here in Canada.

Edited on Jul 10, 2009 16:18

costaricafinca
    Participant

I agree that the Turrialba is a very nice place to live. In the Santa Cruz area, though, you can live in the fog for nearly every day of the year…
    There are quite few ex-pats around there, you just have to know where to find them, or avoid them!

sprite

As long as there is at least 3000 feet of altitude to make the weather pleasant, I can’t imagain a bad piece of property anywhere in the CR countryside.

areca

We live in Esperanza de Turrialba and think that this is the best place to live. Our weather is near perfect, blue skys, plenty of fresh clean water, no irrigation necessary, an organic market on Saturday morning, 2 universities, 6 big grocery stores, 3 gas stations, fine dining, a hospital with a new one coming to CATIE, lots to do, and enough foreigners if you desire them. High speed intenet is also available in various locations. There are several private schools for your children including U of CR’s 1-12

Your altitude and location determines your weather, temperature and so on. 10 minutes above and it is much cooler.

Turrialba is a great place to live.

micololo

Areca

I don’t remember where Esperanza is?

enduro

Esperanza is about 3 miles south west of La Suiza

micololo

To go to Esparza, a LASuiza, do you have to take the little gravel road in front of the soccer field and a few hundred feet further cross a little bridge and immediatly after the bridge turn to the left?

Edited on Jul 23, 2009 07:51

Edited on Jul 23, 2009 07:54

areca

Esparza is not thet same place as Esperanza, nor is it near La Suiza de Turrialba in Cartago.

areca

For clarification, here is a link to the Esperanza, La Suiza area.

http://www.maplandia.com/costa-rica/cartago/turrialba/turrialba/

micololo

Excuse me I’ve made a typing error I was talking about Esperanza de Turrialba. Still, to go there do you have to take the little road I’ve said before?

areca

Your directions to Esperana de Atirro de Turrialba are not correct. Go through Turrialba, south past CATIE take the fork in the road towards La Suiza, then a right towards Casa Turirre and the Golden Bean Coffee Tour in Atirro. Go through Atirro, over a bridge and continue until you see a tiny bus bench on the left side of the road, it has a La Esperanza sign on it, follow that goat trail up, up, up to Esperanza always staying on the high road.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.