Livng with Guanacaste trees

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Livng with Guanacaste trees

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rebecca

We are planning to build a house on property on a hilltop that has one giant Guanacaste tree and 4 smaller ones. The building site is limited which means we take down the smaller trees and perhaps try to build around the big one. I have doen extensive research and it sounds like the guanacaste is pretty messy. Does anyone have experience building/living near one? I know its a national tree. Are there restrictions on taking it down? I understand the wood is good for outdoor furniture, but not indoor? Any advice?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Guanacaste wood is just fine for indoor furniture and cabinetry. It’s all over the place in Sarchi. So slash away.

*Lotus

From a small seed that large beautiful tree has certainly lived a long life. So proceed with care and if it must be removed get in touch with a good furniture builder. I’m sure there are plenty of folks who could make good use of this tree if it has to be cut down.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I would encourage you to double-check and make sure you do not need specific permission to cut down theses trees. You don’t want to gibve any bureacrat an excuse NOT to give you the necessary permits/approvals that you will need in the future.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

wmaes47

Scott is ABSOLUTELY correct…

You will need that little piece of paper with permission to cut trees anywhere.

I have seen a project that were totally stopped from building… Punishments were handed down… And they MIGHT be able to build in six months. These were single lots for single family homes. They had not followed the rules.

MINAE is the authority that you should prompt for permission to cut trees…

The local municipality will need to be asked for permission to move dirt, also.

Follow their rules and you will be fine…

Build On
    Bill Maes

rebecca

Thanks for the information. We are aware of the need for permission. Even with permission to cut, our instinct is to save those we can…especially the largest. I’m just wondering about living with the bees that are attracted by the flowers plus the leaf debris/pods… Is it like having a pine tree in your back yard? Are you always faced with clean up or just one season as with our Fall? Thanks so much for your responses!!

*Lotus

I have observed while at the beach our friends have a youngman come once or twice a week to sweep up the leaves that fall off the Almond trees.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.