Living & working in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Living & working in Costa Rica

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    marti63

My goodness, people are short tempered today, aren’t they? I was reading with interest your comments about moving to CR and was wondering about the statement one of you mentioned about financial restrictions. Now, I realize that CR wouldn’t want bums and vagrants, but I am retired and plan to live on my retirement, quietly and peacefully (hopefully) in CR.

Can you tell me what financial restrictions we are talking about? What is the first step in getting residency in CR? Thanks in advance for ANY advice and information from any of you. Hope to see all of you one day!
    Marti

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Marti, people are not short-tempered. People are polite and expect to be treated politely when they answer reasonable questions with reasonable answers couched in reasonable language. That’s all.

As to residency, if you have a guaranteed income from an institutional source (Social Security, a government pension, etc) then the income requirement is $600US per month. You must prove it. If you are not so endowed, then you must demonstrate that you have $60,000 per person on deposit (in a Costa Rican bank, I think).

The first step to obtaining residency would be to do a search here on “residency” and read everything. Then do a Google search on “Costa Rican Embassy of the United States”, go to the Travel link and then Residency and read all that. Once you have a general grasp of what’s required, (1)post questions here and (2)ask for recommendations for a good residency lawyer here which you will need.

Hope this helps.

rf2cr
    Participant

Marti –

There is a book available on this site which I have found extremely useful and it has given us concise information about what is required for residency, it is certainly worth what we paid for it – check out “The Legal Guide to Costa Rica” by Roger A. Petersen.

marti63

Great tip, Roger! Thanks, I will look that one up.
    Marti

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.