Living on a boat

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Living on a boat

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    paulcrowley

Does anyone here have experience with in Costa Rica or living aboard a cruising sailboat in Costa Rica?

costaricafinca
    Participant

This could prove to be extremely a bad venture. There are no facilities here, for doing this, as far as I know, and if there is no-one on your boat, [i]things will be stolen….[/i]

costaricabill
    Participant

You can live on a sailboat in CR just as you can anywhere there is water. CR has many beautiful anchorages, some better protected from the weather and surge than others, so living on the hook is a viable option. Sure, there is the possibility of theft, but that happens to boats and boaters everywhere. There are ways to limit the opportunity of theft, just as you would in any other location.
    Options for living in a marina are very limited, but there are several new marinas planned and a couple may actually get built.

costaricafinca
    Participant

What ways can one ‘limit the opportunity of theft’ from a boat if there is no-one aboard’? Even where the local fishermen moor for the night, many remove everything ‘not bolted down’ at night, leaving nothing that can be stolen.
    Very difficult to do this, if you are living on board.

paulcrowley

Please let me clarify the information that I am looking for. I am hoping to hear from experienced cruising sailors who have either cruised in Costa Rica, or have actually investigated doing so.

I am thinking in terms of a 40 foot boat with a 5 to 7 foot draft.

I recently visited the marina at Los Suenous [spelling ?]. I also visited the new marina under construction at Quepos.

20 years ago, I explored the Atlantic Coast, but found no port facilities, except Limon. I haven’t been back to the Atlantic side since.

Does anyone know if it is possible to bareboat charter a boat in Lake Arenal for a week?

happygirl

Puerto Azul in Puntarenas is a fully operational marina open with full services available for all boats.

Darin

Hello Sir-

I have been investigating. [Quepos and Puntarenas are Pacific coast though.Yes?]
    I believe the facilities are limited , Puerto Limón, is a port city,cruise ship stop, and a major cargo transshipment commercial port, Cahuita and Puerto Viejo are potential anchorages,(sand bottoms, coral outcroppings very common,) but no mooring balls and my opinion is you may wish to practice safety and security strategies stringently.

Recently I was there.. still planning but I was thinking of mooring or hauling in the months when I was not sailing. Rio Dulche Guatamala maybe friend of mine just sailed out of there on his Catalina 42. Anyway..they have services.
    A curiosity – Puerto Viejo..we walked the beach and it is a lovely town, but there was a sloop about 20 yards from the beach (Bavaria or a Hunter maybe?) .. a wooden raft was secured to it. No apparently life aboard for a couple of days..I have no idea whether the yacht had been boarded, or anything but it struck me that a yacht, within wading distance of any coast there is a target.
    Took a swim at Punta Uva a few kilometres out of Puerto Viejo, took eyes off the vehicle for twenty minutes, glove box jimmied!

(Fortunately I learned in Lagoa, Portugal don’t be leaving stuff in the car! I still mourn my Nikon FE , passsport and leather jacket. )!>

We’re sort of thinking Grenada would be the logical end point..some Canadian got shot recently in Honduras waters. Near Roatan. I believe boats should be allowed to carry arms. but thats an old argument I guess.. with no end in sight.!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.