Living in Costa Rica – From San Francisco to Samar

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Living in Costa Rica – From San Francisco to Samar

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    sprite

I back you up on that opinion, Imex…
    I do not live in CR yet but have visited many times over the last three years with the intention of retiring on my property there. Following this site and a few others and talkng about relavant matters with Ticos while visiting has given me some basic knowledge of the place. The same questions that came to your mind upon reading the article came to mine as well.

Imxploring
    Participant

Seems there are quite a few people willing to take the time and make the effort to dig a bit for the truth… and that in my mind is refreshing! Thanks Jovigale…

You are putting them on trial Mr.Judgey Mc.Judgerson. What gives you the right, are you working for immigration? If not, leave them to their job,it’s not yours “legally”. Scott has over and over stated his position on working illegally here so you don’t need to police his choices either. He doesn’t advise it and warns against the risks, and he does a fine job without your direction.

countdown

Sorry FC, I believe the point was not that they should be tossed out of the country but rather that Scott apparently highlighted people doing what he advises against. An inconsistency that is a sore point for people following his advice.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

. . . and following the law.

Imxploring
    Participant

I guess a trial would require that they at some point DEFEND their actions… as far as I can see silence is the ONLY action that’s been taken. I was hoping Scott would give us some input to the facts. I’d love to hear that they are doing things the right way and have a follow-up story posted on their experiences in doing so. So many younger people would benefit from such information.

It’s not the goal of this site or exchange to judge or deport people. It’s to provide HONEST, LEGAL, and CURRENT information to folks that are interested in Costa Rica. Just think of all the people that read a story like that and start the dream… not knowing that it’s not real or the right way to do so. Is that your wish, to allow bad information to be posted and spread. Is that a fair or balanced exchange or the reason for a site such as this?

If the article had been on banking or importing cars and it skipped over the legal steps to do so I’d be just as unhappy. So would you, even if we don’t work as bank regulators or for customs. As I said, if we’re going to just post glossy stories that are nothing more than a sales pitch for real estate, which leave out very important issues…. let’s do it…. but let’s be sure the people reading them understand them for what they are and NOT experienced based stories of people that are living the dream who have done their homework and are playing by the rules. I don’t want this site to become one that has to put a disclaimer at the end of each story.

Remember for all of us that have taken the time to play by the rules, people that don’t are doing nothing more than thumbing their nose at not only the system but us as well.

I’d also like to thank those that see my point, it’s nice to know there’s still a few of us around! I was really starting to feel lonely in this world!

Edited on Jan 22, 2009 07:38

*Lotus

If things don’t start improving here in the US I may be heading back to CR and doing the PT thing myself with what little I have left. I would add “lol” but it really isn’t so funny 🙁 Regarding the article Scott has already stated that his attorney sees no problem with Hickox and why assume this other couple are not on the up and up. Should every article come with a disclaimer announcing the immigration status of the people it’s written about? If I were in their shoes I wouldn’t respond to the “police” on this board why is it some gringos business anyway? That said I am not suggesting you don’t express yourselves, but my feelings are this is between them and the Costa Rican Authorities.

Imxploring
    Participant

Lotus… I think Scott’s attorney said there “SHOULD” be no problem with Jeff’s actions. A typical attorney answer. But that situation was a bit different. And at first blush was unrelated to the story we’re talking about. I wasn’t even aware of the connection until someone else brought it to my attention. And it’s equally alarming that someone that’s own legal status was questioned would be as brazen to post a story about two others that are equally challenged, one of which may be working for him illegally!!! THAT’S the real issue! Do those involved think we’re all that foolish?

It’s becoming very clear that the answer to the very first words I posted about this story (in this thread) are not being addressed. I don’t like to assume anything, but the silence is becoming deafening! And as such I think we all know what the answer is to that original question.

As to no one involved replying… that also speaks volumes about their conduct. Remember, they made the choice to hold themselves out as the adventurers in a new land with their story being posted here. How they did it and why… of course without mentioning that they also made the choice to ignore laws that were an inconvenience. Unlike those of us that have played by the rules.

If they just saw posting the story as an opportunity to promote a real estate business venture that’s fine… but that’s not what the reader was lead to believe. True, their legal status is an issue for the authorities… but their story became our concern when it was posted here. My point is that we should NOT have to question a story approved by Scott and posted by a recommended broker. Otherwise I suggest that a disclaimer be posted on each story so the reader knows the content may not be in fact true and might just a sales pitch.

The real question in not if we as a community should police the content here… we should… that’s why these forums exist! It’s really a question of the integrity of the stories and information posted here. We’re not in the position to deport anyone…. but we’re all in a position to see to it that the best, most honest, and complete information is provided to those viewing this site.

If you’re comfortable with half truths and incomplete information and stories being provided…. so be it… I for one am not…. nor do I think that the people looking to a resource such as this site should be either. Relocating to another country and retirement planning are serious issues… and to have information out there that is obviously wrong or conveniently incomplete is a disservice to everyone involved.

I’m disappointed Scott has not yet addressed this issue, my guess is that he’s looking into it to give us the full and complete truth….that’s the kind of person he has always been… and for that he has my respect.

Andrew
    Keymaster

“Scott has not addressed this issue” because Scott has been out of his office since 7 am this morning and has just returned.

I will certainly screen the legal residency status, experience and qualifications of all the professionals that we recommend to our VIP Members however, we do not check the residency status of people living here who have articles written about them.

For the most part people like Brian and Mellissa are doing us all a big favour in allowing us to share their stories with our VIP Members and asking them for “your papers please” is just not something we’re going to do …

As has been noted here, I have made my position crystal clear on numerous occasions about people working in Costa Rica. People should work in Costa Rica only when it is legal for them to do so.

Jeff Hickcox is well known to me and I remain proud to recommend him, he knows more about real estate investing than most Realtors, including the childish and jealous competitors who are stirring the pot in this Forum.

I do not personally know Brian, Melissa, and their dog, Pancho and unless I missed it, the article about them does not mention what work he does anyway so bearing that in mind, since none of us in this Discussion Forum are Costa Rican immigration attorneys, none of us know the intricate – ever changing – details of Costa Rica’s immigration laws and none of us know the details about Brian’s personal circumstances or his ‘work,’ then none of us can really comment on his residency status.

Perhaps Brian made a fortune during the DotCom boom? I have no idea and maybe my concept of privacy is different than some but I’m not recommending Brian and Melissa’s services (whatever they may be) to anyone so I don’t really think it’s any of my business.

Having said that, I do hope for their sake that they are doing it the right way.

Scott Oliver- Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

*Lotus

I hear you loud and clear imx and I do respect your integrity. I must admit I have a much more laid-back attitude about this entire immigration thing…I’ll leave it at that. Now I’m going to order some Chinese food undoubtedly cooked by an illegal and delivered on a stolen bike by one. 😉

theone

I came across an interesting posting on http://www.biodieselnow.com/forums/p/5715/38780.aspx. Investors, is history being repeated? Same email, Same man?

“Minisherman (Jack), My name is Jeff Hickcox. I am just starting what will be the first and only commercial refinery in Connecticut(Enviro Energies of New England, LLC). Our website should be up in a week or two (www.CleanBioFuel.com). Right now we are advocates for biodiesel, and nothing more. We sell shirts, hats and bumper stickers. However, we have commitments from many restaurants to remove their WVO. In addition, we have commitments from commercial fleet owners who will become immediate customers. Upon completion of our business plan we will seek investors and personell. I want everyone with a pulse to know the benefits of biodiesel and make a profit at the same time. I don’t know exactly what you’re looking for, but this is ground level and we expect to dominate New England in 2-5 years. Jeff Hickcox disser420@yahoo.com

Andrew
    Keymaster

Are we in kindergarten here? theone? Why is this even remotely interesting?

So Jeff had other business interests in the US before he came to Costa Rica, so what?

This Discussion Forum thread is not about Jeff Hickcox.

I have half a dozen businesses here and pay more income tax than any of the Costa Rican professionals I know here – so what? Because I have other business interests, is that bad for WeLoveCostaRica.com? I would argue that it’s very good….

This Discussion Forum thread is not about Jeff Hickcox and if you have a personal problem with him for whatever reason then maybe you could be man enough to post under your real name or preferably go and sort it out amongst yourselves and stop whining.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

theone

Sorry should have posted under Paradise Profits. I’m a careful investor and worried that we don’t always get the real story. PETER

Imxploring
    Participant

I’d have to admit this is getting very interesting… a real man of mystery and an expert in so many fields…commercial refineries, bio diesel, Costa Rica Real estate investing, and so on…. none of which I’m sure are ongoing sucessful enterprises. The internet is a pretty powerful tool at times!

It’s clear to me now that “theone” is someone that knows this guy… and has an ax to grind… perhaps a former business partner or burned investor.

This was interesting when I looked further myself.

Link http://expattalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2510061972/m/5180074465

“disser420@yahoo.com Turista Posted 25 July 2008 01:10 Hi all, My name is Mary and I currently live in Costa Rica although I am originally from CT. My husband and I, along with our 3 children (9,5,1) are seriously considering a move to Italy in the next 2 years, possibly sooner. We are in the very early stages and are looking for low cost of living (as low as possible, we aren’t naive), easy jump off point for European travel, and to really live with locals. We do speak Spanish and so predict the transition, language wise, will be fairly easy. Question is where is a good spot to look. We will rent and only live there about 2 years with lots of travel. No need for jobs, but need safety with the children. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.”

I guess the next move is already in the works! At least I can say these folks do their homework!!! LOL

Andrew
    Keymaster

Jeez!

THIS THREAD HAS BECOME INFANTILE AND TOTALLY UNRELATED TO THE TITLE OF THE DISCUSSION FORUM THREAD AND IS NOW CLOSED.

If you – A: ‘imxploring’ and B: ‘theone’ have a problem with me closing this thread, please feel free to email me at admin@welovecostarica.com

But please don’t even think about emailing me with some pathetic anonymous email addresses like pkpkpk@gmail.com or imxploring@hotmail.com

If you haven’t got the courage to identify your true self then I really don’t have the time to waste communicating with you ….

I hope that’s clear.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.