Living dangerously in Mexico

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Living dangerously in Mexico

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    clayton

Gee we could fill them all up with the 10-15 million illegal aliens instead of giving them free health care and social security. The stocks would sore.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The largest prison corporation in the USA is a publicly traded company and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

The Correction Corp Of America is the largest prison company in the USA – [ http://www.correctionscorp.com/ ]

They are “America’s Leader in Partnership Corrections.”

“CCA houses approximately 75,000 offenders and detainees in more than 60 facilities, 44 of which are company-owned, with a total bed capacity of more than 80,000. CCA currently partners with all three federal corrections agencies (The Federal Bureau of Prisons, the U.S. Marshals Service and Immigration and Customs Enforcement), nearly half of all states and more than a dozen local municipalities.”

Happy now? 🙄

Scott

clayton

Thanks Scott,You never cease to amaze me. Great job, and what is their symbol.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I as on Wall Street for a decade so I WAS familiar with these companies, the ticker symbol is CXW currently trading at $20.45

maravilla

[quote=”clayton”]Gee we could fill them all up with the 10-15 million illegal aliens instead of giving them free health care and social security. The stocks would sore.[/quote]

but then you would have to pick the lettuce, strawberries, and grapes. prison stocks would sore, and ADM would take a beating.

gee, scott, it’s as bad as i thought it was!! so the prisons ARE mandated by law to turn a profit. lock up those pot smokers; the prisons would be safer too, instead of filling them with hardcore criminals!

maravilla

where there’s money to be made, there’s corruption.

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/2/17/penn_judges_plead_guilty_to_taking

how many times has this happened? what’s next, rounding people up on the streets, denying them due process, and throwing them in a for-profit detention center? so basically, we have a flood of drugs coming into the country, people are dying like flies in the border towns where the drugs are transported across the border (500 people have been murdered THIS year alone in Juarez and it’s only march), people use drugs, they get locked up in prison, the prison turns a profit, and everyone is happy. silly me, what was i thinking?

clayton

The UAW did such a good job in Detroit, I’m sure they could get it all started in the fields of the south too. I think California, Michigan, New York, New Jersey are almost broke. All the municipal employees will be looking for jobs. Some may have to come out of their early state retirements. Go Democrats. Then we will all have jobs though. Gee, I wonder who will pay for our Health Insurance ?

Alfred

John,
    Of course it is an assumption on my part that the number of DUIs would go up. I’m using the current alcohol situation to guesstimate.

The other scenario, like legal alcohol, is that the government would then have to tax it, regulate it and then turn over production to the pharmaceutical companies to insure purity, quality and consistency. Can’t have heroin addicts getting a hot shot. You can see where this is all going. The ATF becomes the DATF and so on. Of course this is only speculation on my part. Still, as I said before, there are no easy answers.

Outside of moral, ethical and religious considerations, this is subject that can be debated for years. And no one is right or wrong. Just a lot of opinions out there.

As far as the current prison system that Maravilla talked about, she is right except for the fact that local governments do this too. It is not only in privatization of the jails. Our county built a larger jail so we can take the overflow from a neighboring county’s jails and get paid for housing the inmates. All done in the name of lowering taxes. Hasn’t lowered them for the past 10 years or so. Only had to add more deputies to the payroll. Well, at least they did create jobs.

Whenever and wherever there is money to be made, legally or illegally, there is always someone who will gladly take it.

rfalves

[quote=”jdocop”]Now there’s a scary thought (financing a ‘war’ to liberate Iran). Of course, we all know that there ain’t no way, no how, that the government is ever going to give anything back (just like doing business in Costa Rica, isn’t it?).
    Let’s not forget, meanwhile, that the Coast Guard is there to do more than prevent smuggling. They also play a very significant role in sea rescue, and generally ‘guarding’ our coasts. Our coasts, as in, if they weren’t distracted by the so-called War on Drugs, maybe they could focus their energies closer to the actual shores of the U. S.

As for the privatization of prisons, don’t fool yourself my friend. While it is true that there are private companies running some prisons, they certainly have not totally taken over that responsibility from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Nor, have they even taken over a sizable portion of that responsibility. Meanwhile, if there is such an obvious way to save tax dollars, and if the taxpayers (as in, voters) want it bad enough, all the lobbying in the world is not going to stop such a change.[/quote]
    Hi JD, Its been awhile since we last wrote. I am now in CR also living in Heredia. And, yes after 26 years in the Coast Guard US and spending more then half of those years dealing with drug runners. I have arrested the same runners several times because we gave them a free ride home and then they were on the next boat goin north. I told my bosses that I could stop ALL drug smuggling by water if they let me. But, ACLU and others would raise hell. When We seized a boat and arrested the people on board instaed of a free flight home we pull one person off the boat, excute the others, burn and sink all that remains and then send that one person back home. It would not be long when NO ONE would want to run drugs knowing it was an immendiate death sentence right there on the boat. And, I would have no problem with that espically since I had to kill one of them after he shot me in the leg. Well so much for true justice and screw the ACLU. Ron USCG Ret

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yes, Ron, that’s certainly a “so much for justice” scenario.

What other laws are you prepared to execute summarily? And upon just whose authority?

rfalves

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Yes, Ron, that’s certainly a “so much for justice” scenario.

What other laws are you prepared to execute summarily? And upon just whose authority?[/quote]
    Hi Dave, I guess it all depends on your point of view. The SYSTEM does not work so what other ideas do you have. And, I guess after being shot by one of them I have no problem doing it again. It would stop the drug running, save the US tax payors alot of money, and not waste time and money for jail space. But then we both know that it would never work, even when most of the boats we stopped and took where in international waters and the USA and other countries have no jurisdation there who would proscute the doer of the deed? Ron USCG Ret

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Well, Ron, let’s see . . .

If the boats in question were in international waters, then neither the actual U.S. government nor certainly you personally had any legal authority to exert. The boats were beyond any legal jurisdiction, right? You said that.

The only conclusion one could draw from your willingness to “execute” (your use of a legal term) or murder (my use of another) is that you were prepared to act as a pirate, an outlaw, beyond the reach of any system of justice. Being on a USCG boat and wearing the uniform confers no special status on the open seas. In essence, you’re asserting your personal right to murder whomever you deem deserves it according to some rationale unique to your way of thinking.

The U.S. Supreme Court (perhaps you have heard of it) has written in numerous opinions over the course of many years that the arbitrary application of “justice” on behalf of one objective opens the door to the equally arbitrary application of justice in pursuit of an opposite objective. Your willingness to summarily execute those you deem unworthy of a fair trial contains within it the equally compelling argument that you, too, are subject to the same fate.

Think about it . . .

maravilla

but he said the perp shot him first. what should he have done? reprimanded him, slapped his wrists? drug dealers are ruthless and violent. they have much at stake and don’t want to lose it. i see it as he shot the guy in self-defense, as any police officer in the US would’ve done in a heartbeat.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

maravilla, Ron, nothing I’ve written in any way argues against an individual’s right to self-defense. Nothing. If you disagree, quote me.

But what Ron advocates is the crew of a United States Coast Guard vessel taking one prisoner from the crew of a boat running drugs in international waters (where, by the way, the drugs are not illegal) and arbitrarily “executing” (“murdering”, actually) the rest. The survivor, of course, would live to spread the word to his fellows.

maravilla, if you want to give Ron a license to murder, I guess that’s your business. Me? Not so much!

Remember, if he can arbitrarily murder drug runners, he can arbitrarily murder anyone else. You’ll want to stay out of his sights.

What this really smacks of is vigilantism. Ron asserts that the system doesn’t work and so advocates taking the law into his own hands to protect interests he sees in jeopardy. He’ll be the police officer, prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner. And all with no legal protections or constraints. If any of that sounds to you like behavior in the best tradition of (say) the Ku Klux Klan, then we have a point upon which we can agree.

maravilla

well, nothing else seems to be working!! besides the KKK, it also sounds a lot like the CIA, the Mossad, the FBI, and the miliary. all this PC blah blah about rights get a little old after a while. when you choose to run drugs internationally, you’re abdicated your rights as far as i’m concerned.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.