Life is a Tropical Garden

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Life is a Tropical Garden

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

Check out the column, page 6 of today’s amcostarica.com and let me know what you think. Yes, I wrote it and I would love some feedback from this community.

Thanks.

barbara ann

I have spaghetti squash seeds I planted and amazingly they are sprouting. I too have tried corn and am going to try it again. I am hoping for the spaghetti squash to complete. the government confiscated spaghetti squash seeds that a friend mailed me. they don’t grow it here, so they say that they destroy the seeds. I guess I did not realize that seeds were such an issue since so many people are hungry here

VictoriaLST

The corn seeds we get here are not “short day” seeds. The reason for sweet corn failure is that it requires 14-16 hours of sunlight a day. The Univ. of Hawaii at Hilo sells the short day seed. Be sure you save seeds from your spaghetti squash. Many people would be interested in having them. And check out the Facebook page “Arenal Gardeners” for tips and answers to questions

barbara ann

I planted a few sweet corn seeds and two have come up so far, I just stuck them in a pot and they are germinating. The spaghetti squash is up also. It looks a little spindly but I am hoping it will grow., I have given a few seeds here and there for people to plant and hopefully they will have plants.I am going to Grecia tomorrow for the Ferria, a wonderful place to see if anyone speaks english that can be of some help. The seeds I have are Burpee, winter squash (vegetable spaghetti) and White sweet corn, I can not believe they confiscate them in the mail. I had 4 more spaghetti squash packets mailed to me and CR took them. Wish me luck..I have about fifteen seeds left if anyone is in my area of the spaghetti squash and probably fifty of sweet corn

VictoriaLST

For production of corn you need at least 3 rows about 6 feet long for pollination. Again, this is a bad time of year for sweet corn although the local corn doesn’t mind the rain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.