Leaving the country every three months

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Leaving the country every three months

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I just read in the Happier than a Billionaire books that somerimes a person will be given a hard time coming back and forth into the country every three months may be given a hard time about coming back in? How common is this?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Quite common nowadays.
    There is [u]no[/u] guarantee on how many days your tourist ‘visa’ will valid for and that is written on your passport; it could be 5, 10 or it could be 90 days. They can also refuse your re-entry into the country.
    This seems to especially so, for those who many consider ‘perpetual tourists’…but can and does happen on a persons first trip to Costa Rica.

That’s really concerning to me. If I can’t rent in different areas for three months at a time, and keep leaving to follow the rules, but then may not be able to get back in, I wonder:

a) how common is this that a person can’t get back in the country/what percentage of time does this happen: and
    b) does CR really want to encourage people like me to invest in the country/land, etc. Maybe not really?

CR is my dream location, but Mexico offers a 6 month visa. Still checking into Nicaragua and Belize and Honduras.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Costa Rica could be your dream location, but you should check it out prior to making any commitment.
    While it isn’t common to be denied entry, realize it [u]could[/u] happen, and what does seem to be happening more often, is someone being given a ‘visa’ for a shorter time period which can cause concern due to the length of time some are waiting for their application for Residency to be completed, when one wishes to keep their drivers license valid.

I have read where one couple exited 14 times…

CHERYLJK

When we were “mere” tourists, I never thought to ask for 90 days. But when we moved here 2 months ago, that’s exactly what we did. We explained we were going to apply for residency the following week. We were asked for our return tickets, which we had, and we were granted 90 days. So, we plan on asking for 90 days every time we do a border run. Hopefully our requests will be granted.

That is good to know, Cheryl. But you have only had to do this once so far?

I will have my son who will be 18 and a small dog and I have to make sure I keep everything as secure as possible for them. My hope has been to rent for three months at a time to determine if I want to establish residency and buy or build a home there. I’ve been to Costa Rica several times but will also look into other locations, Mexico especially given the length of the visa and the ease of establishing residency. I just love CR or wouldn’t keep going back there:)

Has anyone had any issues traveling back and forth with a dog? My belief is that as long as I keep her current, within the right time frame, on all her shots, etc. that we should be good but won’t take any big chances. She’s like a child to me;)

costaricafinca
    Participant

If you head to Panama to renew your visa both you and your son will each have to show air tickets out of Panama to the USA plus each show that you have $500 either in cash or in a bank account. Renewing it, in Nicaragua is ‘simpler’… but maybe to distant from your location.

CHERYLJK

That is good to know, Cheryl. But you have only had to do this once so far?

Yes, only once so far, but we are returning to the States next month to have our container loaded, so we’ll see what happens when we return!

saxonaboat56

I was so surprised to read your negative comments about Costa Rica, Duth. I subscribe to a publication called “International Living”. Their “boots-on-the-ground” correspondents in Costa Rica paint a pretty rosy picture about retirement life there. I live in Oregon, in the USA. I’m considering moving to Costa Rica in the next 2 years. I like coastal living. I was considering the central or southern Pacific coast area.

CHERYLJK

Saxon, while I, too, read IL magazine, you can’t always believe what they print about Costa Rica. For example, they often quote prices for joining the Caja which simply aren’t true, meaning they list lower prices than you will actually pay.

They are in the business of selling real estate, according to one of my friends who has been a long time subscriber. Their rosy retirement picture leaves something to be desired, and what I mean about that is they often neglect to mention how difficult it can be do get things done here (buy a car, build a house, open a bank account, etc.), and the cost of most things has increased dramatically since we started coming here in 2002. Having said that, I still enjoy reading the magazine.

My husband and I also have no regrets about moving here. We did buy a car the first week we were here, and we are in the process of having a house built.

The best advice I can give you is to investigate the areas where you think you want to live and then do your due diligence. Do a lot of reading and ask lots of questions.

If you don’t like the heat and need A/C (that’s me!), know that your electric bill will be very high. For me it’s worth it.

How is your Spanish? My biggest regret is not learning Spanish before we moved. I am working on it now, but it can be very frustrating when I have to conduct business in the bank and no one there speaks English. Still, I have managed to muddle through.

I am not trying to discourage you. In fact, it is just the opposite. I encourage you to seriously consider moving here. I also heartily recommend you attend ARCR’s monthly seminar for moving to CR. We actually attended it 3 separate times, and each time we learned something new. ARCR helped us to open a bank account as well as apply for residency. They have been a wealth of information for us, and their forums are also very informative.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[i]’…correspondents in Costa Rica paint a pretty rosy picture about retirement life there”[/i]. Yes…and they are paid for their article and/or own developments that are advertized in the magazine.

[u]You[/u] need to visit with [u]your[/u] own ‘boots on the ground’, preferably multiple times at differant times of the year to find what suits [u]you[/u].

[url=http://www.retirenowincostarica.com/060815-exaggerated-sales-pitches-mean-disappointment.htm]Check this out[/url]

It is ‘said’ that between 50-60% return to their home country within 2-3 years.

BTW, Costa Rica is not a sailing destination which surprises many who have moved from coastal communities.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”Duth”]I’ve been here since 1981. Costa Rica HATES progress.It’s likely the worse country to attempt to move-do business in. It wasn’t so back in the day. Don’t even think about moving here. The young people are horrible and the old school is still living in another era. Pura Vida and Tuanis are things of the past.

Nowadays it’s “what can I get from this person—what can I steal?”
    [/quote]

You have been a member of this website for only 2 days ‘Duth’ and all your posts so far have been extremely negative. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but you could certainly be a little more constructive, don’t you think?

I’ve had one rocking chair stolen from my garden in near 17 years of living here… So my experience and my opinions are clearly very different from yours…

Scott

Yes, I think any time an opinion is extreme in any way, the opinion is suspect and tainted. To generalize that all the young people there are awful seems ridiculous to me. I’m sure many could say the same things about the US or any other country for that matter if it’s through a negative overall dis-satisfied with life lens.

Imxploring
    Participant

Just a thought on the subject. In my ten years of experience in CR things have changed. But can someone tell me a place on this planet where they have not?

You make your own happiness in life. You enjoy the good and do your best to mitigate the bad. When the bad outweighs the good you move on or adjust to work around it and deal with it. When looking at the total package of what CR has to offer for those willing to WORK (Yes…. I said WORK…. Life itself is WORK) on living here, i.e. learning some spanish, learning the customs, adjusting your attitude, making good friends outside the expat community, accept things are not like “home”, you can’t beat CR! Sure it’s gotten more expensive, but once again where in the world has it gotten cheaper to live? Sure there are social issues that may create problems that may or not impact you, but once again where is that not the case?

Some folks aren’t happy no matter where they call “home”…. start WORKING on creating your own happiness…. because no one is looking to do the job for you…. and the more unhappiness you project the more likely to are to attract folks more than willing to feed into it.

Imxploring
    Participant

Just some food for thought… other views welcomed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.