Leaving country

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Leaving country

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    deb3

I am leaving for USA with my 2 young children the end of this month and am over my 90 days here. I read something somewhere about getting exit visas prior to that date? Do I need these or can this all be done at airport prior to departure?

grb1063

Go to a Banco Nacional or Banco de Costa Rica anywhere and get the exit visas.

deb3

Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea of approximate cost?? Also,I read that in order to leave with minor children, both parents need to go to National Child Welfare Agency to get documention for minor(s) to leave. Is that correct?

Edited on Aug 15, 2007 09:40

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Could someone please say a little more about these “exit visas” that deb3 is looking for? Deb3, are they required because minor children are involved? Or is it because you’ve overstayed your 90-day tourist visa? I’ve left Costa Rica about four times and never did anything about an exit visa.

We’re not talking about the $26 airport departure tax, are we?

Thanks.

Charlie

If your kids were born in Costa Rica,even if they are US citizens / US passports , you need to get the ” permiso de salida prior to leaving the country.” I can explain more if that is the case , just let me know. There is no fee for this .

deb3

I think these are two separate issues. My understanding is the exit visa is because we stayed past our 90 days. The other has to do with the fact that minor children are involved & they want to make sure all is on the up & up with both parents for them to leave Costa Rica.

shaun

Charlie, I would like to know more about the “permiso de salide”, like how do you get it, what is involved, etc. You can contact me off list if you want. Thanks.
    Shaun.

Charlie

Shaun, I have dealt with this having a son with a US passport being born in Costa Rica, and also a step-daughter with a CR passport. The main objective for immigration is that the natural parents give authorization for the minor child to leave.

In the case of both parents still married , it is easily done by going to the immigration office and signing a declaration to attest that they are in fact the parents and request that a authorization be stamped on the passport for the child to leave. We made the mistake the first time , just asking for authorization , which they did, but they did a one time authorization good for 30 days. We later found out we could have asked for a permanent authorization. ( I guess we had to be mind readers to know that , they didnt offer explain it the first time . In fact , the second time we had to get his for my son , we just had the travel agent here in CR take the passport to immigracion for us , and they got it done in a day for free. Wonder how they did that without us there, maybe connections , you never know here.

The other problem I had was for my step daugther. the natural father was unwilling to even acknowledge us . So , although i was the legal guardian and my step daughter had US residency , the immigration office denied her. We had to go to the family court to get this straightened out. Guess what it was denied again and mainly because of the father not willing to cooperate. It took 3 years for us to get her permiso ! Which is one of the main reasons I decided to move here, this tore th family apart . as I worked in the US. After almost giving up the fight I sold everyhting and made a move here. Guess what , no sooner that I got here , she was granted permanent permiso !

There shoudnt be a problem if the natural father is willing to go to migracion with the mother in the first place.

If you do not get this permiso stamped on the passport prior to going to the airport, exit for the minor will be denied. If you do have the permiso, go to the airport, pay the $26, then go to the minor booth by the gate entrance, they will sign off on the passport , then you can go to the counter for your tickets.

Hope this helps . If in doubt , there is immigration office on the second floor of the departure area of airport. you can go up there and have everyhting exlplained properly. You can go prior to departure date just to be on th safe side .

Jerry

I have a question about this… Is the “immigration office” at Immigrations in Uruca, or can I obtain this authorization at the office upstairs at the airport. I would just as soon visit Hell as go to the Immigration center in Uruca if I do not ABSOLUTELY have to.
    Jerry in La Suiza

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.