Learning the Lingo

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Learning the Lingo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    scara

where or how is the best way,place for a gringo to learn the lingo?
    Purchase discs? Go to classes? Private tudors? How did you guys do it? recomendations appreciated
    thanks..

DavidCMurray
    Participant

For us, the only thing that has worked (to the extent that it has worked at all) is the discipline of face-to-face instruction. And since everyone learns a different way, and at a different pace, what we’ve gotten the most out of is individual instruction.

(None of this is to suggest that we’re fluent, you understand.)

sprite

I agree with David. I learned many years ago in Ohio of all places, by simply associating with the Cuban community there. College courses in Spanish helped a little but face to face, especially in a social context, is the fastest way to learn.

grb1063

Immersion is the best way, however, I have learned Italian on the Rosetta Stone program. Absolutely the best language program out there. My wife learned Spanish this way, which gave her a big boost when spending our vacations in CR and looking forward to 3 weeks in Spain in May.

Charlie

If you can read spanish , pick up ” A Lo Tico ” by Alf. A. Giebler Simonet . You should find at it most CR book stores . Here you will find all the Tico sayings, slangs , and just words only a CR would say . I’ve used alot of what’s printed in here in my converstaions and even the Ticos are impressed how Tico like I can speak. Good luck

orcas06

After 4 yrs of college spanish, making as many latin american friends as possible, travel to Mexico and South America, tapes, books etc. and moving to Costa Rica, I find that the best way is a live in dictionary. Still a keeper after “muchos años”. Guess I should be pretty fluent after all that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.