Law Enforcement in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Law Enforcement in CR

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    camby

What are your impressions? are they easy going, hard nosed? both?
    Do you feel less hassled then in the States (or EU/Canada/UK,etc)??

Andrew
    Keymaster

The regular street cops in Costa Rica are paid about $600 per month (including benefits) and have very, very little power or authority

(I have a half-written article about this so will double check that salary number later… )

Hassled?

I have NEVER been hassled by a Tico of any kind, I get “hassled” more in a two hour stopover in Miami airport by the immigration Nazis than I have ever been in Costa Rica in 12 years…

I lived in New York for 11 years – admittedly that was before the country evolved into the United Police States of America – as well as nine other countries on three different continents, I have never felt more free, content and less hassled than I do living in Costa Rica.

Hope that helps…

Scott

[quote=”Camby”]What are your impressions? are they easy going, hard nosed? both?
    Do you feel less hassled then in the States (or EU/Canada/UK,etc)??[/quote]
    Depends on whether you are discussing civil or criminal law.
    I reported to the Ministry of Salud that there is no septic tank for my home, which I’ve been renting for 2-1/2 years. They told me they’d come and inspect the following week or so. That was six months ago.
    When my landlady sued me because I complained, we went to court and the court ordered her to make certain corrections and repairs. She has not done so. My lawyer, who had given me a gringo price–which I paid because I had no choice–has done nothing.
    There is, apparently, no contempt in Costa Rica.

Almost a year ago, a burglar cut my scren and got in. He didn’t take much– a few cans of tuna and two bottles of wine and an empty black bag. Was told he was a druggie. I was asleep. When he saw me in bed, he left. One of my neighbors saw him come empty-handed but go full-handed, so she called the police. I was unaware all this was happening until I woke and found people in my house. I said, had I known he was hungry, I would have fed him. At the court, where I was told to go immediately, the clerk said he’d get 2 yrs. A month ago, I was brought a notice b y the police to appear in court in February. I was asked whether I wanted to press charges or have him do community service. I said, community service would satisfy. I would press no charges. Mugging someone on the street is a misdemeanor. Breaking and entering a home is a felony.

But given my recent experience, the law doesn’t mean a damn thing civilly or criminally.

camby

[quote=”Scott”]The regular street cops in Costa Rica are paid about $600 per month (including benefits) and have very, very little power or authority

(I have a half-written article about this so will double check that salary number later… )

Hassled?

I have NEVER been hassled by a Tico of any kind, I get “hassled” more in a two hour stopover in Miami airport by the immigration Nazis than I have ever been in Costa Rica in 12 years…

I lived in New York for 11 years – admittedly that was before the country evolved into the United Police States of America – as well as nine other countries on three different continents, I have never felt more free, content and less hassled than I do living in Costa Rica.

Hope that helps…

Scott[/quote]

Well put!!! TSA is terrible, though I met a fellow working at Heathrow that was worse, then again, Britain is even further along into police state then USA even…true, every day, I wish I had taken some other career path living in USA, one that would allow me to be able to pickup and move……would be nice to have a place just in case-well, when..martial law comes to USA-to possibly escape to-heck, just to get some fresh air out of USA would be nice…..again…..figured, if one stays out of trouble, most CR cops would stay out off your way as well…..

camby

[quote=”barbaracjohnson”][quote=”Camby”]What are your impressions? are they easy going, hard nosed? both?
    Do you feel less hassled then in the States (or EU/Canada/UK,etc)??[/quote]
    Depends on whether you are discussing civil or criminal law.
    I reported to the Ministry of Salud that there is no septic tank for my home, which I’ve been renting for 2-1/2 years. They told me they’d come and inspect the following week or so. That was six months ago.
    When my landlady sued me because I complained, we went to court and the court ordered her to make certain corrections and repairs. She has not done so. My lawyer, who had given me a gringo price–which I paid because I had no choice–has done nothing.
    There is, apparently, no contempt in Costa Rica.

Almost a year ago, a burglar cut my scren and got in. He didn’t take much– a few cans of tuna and two bottles of wine and an empty black bag. Was told he was a druggie. I was asleep. When he saw me in bed, he left. One of my neighbors saw him come empty-handed but go full-handed, so she called the police. I was unaware all this was happening until I woke and found people in my house. I said, had I known he was hungry, I would have fed him. At the court, where I was told to go immediately, the clerk said he’d get 2 yrs. A month ago, I was brought a notice b y the police to appear in court in February. I was asked whether I wanted to press charges or have him do community service. I said, community service would satisfy. I would press no charges. Mugging someone on the street is a misdemeanor. Breaking and entering a home is a felony.

But given my recent experience, the law doesn’t mean a damn thing civilly or criminally.[/quote]
    have heard stories that civil issues like you described are at times an issue in CR, somewhat either lax or behind in getting things done…….at least your neighbor called and the police came.increasingly in USA, people could care less to call (or fear reprisals) and police starting to not care either….some depts have laid off cops, others cutting back on services..or policing entire areas..

Andrew
    Keymaster

The last time I flew into Heathrow, I was taken aside to be eye scanned – “for your protection” – remembering that I am, and always have been a British citizen.

The UK is the model ‘police state’ and all those surveillance cameras have proven to be pretty much bloody useless in crime prevention…

Talking about the police state and Big Brother… Here’s an hilarious little factoid for you …

The Big Brother nightmare of George Orwell’s 1984 has become a reality – in the shadow of the author’s former London home.

“On the wall outside his former residence – flat number 27B – where Orwell lived until his death in 1950, an historical plaque commemorates the anti-authoritarian author. And within 200 yards of the flat, there are 32 CCTV cameras, scanning every move.

[ http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23391081-george-orwell-big-brother-is-watching-your-house.do ]

It’s sickening and, it’s coming to a U.S. city near you if it’s not already there..

Scott

camby

[quote=”Scott”]The last time I flew into Heathrow, I was taken aside to be eye scanned – “for your protection” – remembering that I am, and always have been a British citizen.

The UK is the model ‘police state’ and all those surveillance cameras have proven to be pretty much bloody useless in crime prevention…

Talking about the police state and Big Brother… Here’s an hilarious little factoid for you …

The Big Brother nightmare of George Orwell’s 1984 has become a reality – in the shadow of the author’s former London home.

“On the wall outside his former residence – flat number 27B – where Orwell lived until his death in 1950, an historical plaque commemorates the anti-authoritarian author. And within 200 yards of the flat, there are 32 CCTV cameras, scanning every move.”

[ http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23391081-george-orwell-big-brother-is-watching-your-house.do ]

It’s sickening and, it’s coming to a U.S. city near you if it’s not already there..

Scott[/quote]

Did not know you are a Brit, figured you for a “yank”:D
    Already coming, we had those Red light cameras shot down in state house, but plenty around used by Govt and media…a few yrs back, going to Jeffersons’ home in VA, those cameras were mounted everywhere, long before we got to the house! Every intersection, even rural ones……people read Orwell and dont comprehend or more and more, dont read at all. I hope the Ticos are more alert and awake….

“We seek to preserve peace by fighting a war, or to advance freedom by subsidizing dictatorships, or to “win the hearts and minds of the people” by poisoning their crops and burning their villages and confining them in concentration camps; we seek to uphold the “truth” of our cause with lies, or to answer conscientious dissent with threats and slurs and intimidations. “–Wendell Berry

watchdog

When it comes to Criminal Law, Costa Rica is a Country of laws and regulations just like any other democratically based country such as the U.S., or Canada. The thing that makes Costa Rica different, is that the policy of enforcement of these laws and regulations, is, for the most part, more lax than other similar democratically based jurisdictions and consequently there is less hassle. This is changing over time, with more strict enforcement measures being implemented as time goes along.

camby

[quote=”watchdog”]When it comes to Criminal Law, Costa Rica is a Country of laws and regulations just like any other democratically based country such as the U.S., or Canada. The thing that makes Costa Rica different, is that the policy of enforcement of these laws and regulations, is, for the most part, more lax than other similar democratically based jurisdictions and consequently there is less hassle. This is changing over time, with more strict enforcement measures being implemented as time goes along.[/quote]

I would not mind enforcement in say, real estate,etc….one could lose their shirt selling or buying.
    I think the stringency likely 2nd to immigrants possibly that are not CR natives but also, the way the World Controllers pushing for……

camby

I recall reading that gun laws in regards to non-CR’s as more stringent now then in the past…….sad, but likely, some expat, resident, visitor,etc did something foolish, and as awlays, a cascade of laws and changes…..

waggoner41

I had an experience with a Trafigo at Hospital Mexico that started out on a lame foot probably because he has had at least one run in with an “I’m better than you” Gringo.
    I was parked in the wrong place and didn’t know it but admitted I was wrong when he pointed it out. By that time he had started writing the ticket but he listed the fins as 5,000 colons when it could easily have been four times that.

Another time I got whacked in a borrowed car by a moto crossing a double yellow line. When the rider tried to blame me the area Trafigo gave the Tico the ticket. The Tico called me and threatened to sue me but I talked to the Trafigo and never heard from the Tico again.

The local Fuerza Publica stopped me driving on a flat tire, checked to see if I had been drinking and ran my ID. After explaining that I was driving to have a friend help change the tire because at the age of 70 I couldn’t do it they let me go.

When I first arrived I was pulled over a number of times by Fuerza Publica in their “stop and check” stints. First thing out of my mouth is always “Habla Ingles una poquito?” and there always seemed to be one of them that knew just enough. They all seem to know who I am now as I haven’t been stopped in a couple of years.

Although some of them seem to have had doubtful experiences with Gringos none has turned out to be a jerk. Just keep smiling and dont be an ass. 😀

maravilla

i know all the Fuerza in my town, esp the ones who have the downtown central beat. they see me walking everywhere and i often stop to chat with them. one day two of them were checking out one of the street dogs who had been hit by a car and had an open wound on its leg. the three of us discussed what to do for the dog, and i offered to pay for the vet services if they would take the dog in a taxi, which i also offered to pay for. they said they couldn’t leave their area, but they did walk with the dog to a vet nearby. they were really sweet, and now when i see them on the streets, it’s like we’re old friends. the trafico who busted me for driving without a CR license a few years ago was really nice to me. i begged, pleaded, and whined in spanish for him not to give me a ticket and he didn’t if i promised to go immediately and get my DL, which i did. after a ten minute encounter, he said to me in English, “I hope you have a very nice day,” and i said, “You speak ENGLISH?? And you made me do all that blah blah in Spanish?” he said, “‘yes, but your spanish is very good and you need to practice as much as possible!” Now when i see him on the road at a traffic stop, he smiles and waves.

camby

[quote=”Scott”]The last time I flew into Heathrow, I was taken aside to be eye scanned – “for your protection” – remembering that I am, and always have been a British citizen.

“On the wall outside his former residence – flat number 27B – where Orwell lived until his death in 1950, an historical plaque commemorates the anti-authoritarian author. And within 200 yards of the flat, there are 32 CCTV cameras, scanning every move.

Scott[/quote]

interestingly, a few yrs back on the show Criminal Minds, there was a FBI chief in NYC-mother US, father UK citizens and she was heading up FBI (US shows increassingly showing foreign people coming to US in enforcement or dual citizens)…anyway, she was rather snarky to the regualr characters how NYC does not have cameras all over like the UK and noted it was not for preventing crimes at all, jsut apprehension later! For your own good, of course…..the show then for 2 episodes gave us a “thank gosh those cameras are there” when the team went after some yet unknown “domestic terrorists” cell…..good old polcie work replaced by constant surveillance and thank goodness for it is the message…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.