Latest newspaper article on CAFTA

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Latest newspaper article on CAFTA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    terrycook

I just read Scotts newest post and saw the “MAL” very bad news that it appears that CAFTA will pass. If you live in Costa Rica take positive action and call whomever you know in the political world TODAY !plus get everyone you know to do the same and say NO! to CAFTA. Please do not let the U.S. get their hands into your pockets. You will pay dearly for the rest of your life. As Scott just said in todays news letter more people whan OUT of the U.S. and Costa Rica is just the kind of place to go for the exact reasons Scott pointed out. Believe me the U.S. does NOTHING out of the kindness of it’s heart or to give you a “better” quality of life. Don’t believe it for one second. We have a saying here in the U.S. “I’m from the Government and I am here to help you!) That translates to RUN as fast as you can the other way!
    Terry From Texas

guru

The U.S. Government’s trade policies are the worst in the world. On one hand they have practically forced CAFTA on Central America but on the other have let “free trade” destroy the industries in the U.S. that have made it a great nation.

CAFTA would be a good plan if the U.S. were not part of it. With the U.S. involved it is a disastrous policy for Central America. Those of us doing business in Costa Rica would love for there to be no duties on goods coming or going. However, it is those duties that Costa Rica operates on. Without them there will have to be other taxes. The only source large enough would be higher income taxes. That shifts the burden to the poor who could not buy expensive foreign goods in the first place. . . Yeah, that’s the plan, tax the small farmers and laborers.

paumatom

I’m a little confused. This past saturday I read that CAFTA was going to a public vote as there were not enough votes to pass it in the assembly. Can anyone confirm which is the current status. My sense is that a public up or down vote will lead to rejection of the treaty. As I’m in CA. that is just my guess so what’s really going on in CR with regard to CAFTA.

Thanks

terrycook

Hi there paumatom, If you go to Scott’s last “We Love Costa Rica” news letter and look for “weekly summary of news” 16th April 2007 you can read the entire article that states that the President expects radification…..
    terry from Texas

GringoTico

Guru,

Your excellent posts on this forum have always lived up to your handle. However, I fear your disdain for CAFTA may be getting the better of you.

According to the Ministerio de Hacienda (Tico IRS), here is an itemization of taxes collected in 2005:

Social Security Tax 32%
    Income Tax 17%
    Property Tax 3%
    Sales Tax 42%
    Import Tax 6%

As you can see, taxes on imports account for a small part of the equation, and the burden need not be shifted entirely to the “small farmers and laborers”.

Furthermore, the whole idea of making trade “freer” is to make it more efficient. This means lowering the cost of goods and services for consumers, as well as shifting precious public resources from propping up inefficient enterprises to investing in activities which have competitive advantages. The net benefit to the country as a whole is obvious, though certainly not pain-free. Whether this net benefit trickles down to the ordinary Tico is an internal political matter.

I understand why many people do not like these “free trade” agreements (quotation marks added as sarcasm – nothing’s free), and I do agree they are far from perfect. However, the alternative of isolated economies and governmental promotion of inefficiency is worse.

Costa Rica is not a “third world” country. It is developing rapidly, and the number and quality of professionals is astounding. Not only do I believe they are ready to play in the big leagues, but they desire to as well. Furthermore, I believe the Costa Rican CAFTA negotiating team has been much more able and aggressive than its regional counterparts.

Globalization is shoving these “free trade” policies down all of our throats. Either we adapt, or slowly wither and die. Remember, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Personally, I still don’t think people appreciate the strategic benefit CAFTA would provide to Costa Rica – more so than any other country in the treaty. Given its political stability, high level of education, and large middle class, I believe CAFTA would help consolidate Costa Rica’s position as the administrative business center for Central America. If CAFTA goes through without Costa Rica, Guatemala will remain in that spot, to the great detriment of all Ticos.

Anyway, what you or I think does not matter. Costa Rica is apparently a much more evolved democracy than the U.S., as it’s sending the question of CAFTA to the people in a binding resolution. The Ticos themselves will decide their future, and live with the consequences.

It’s hard to say which way it will go, although I imagine they will reject it. Costa Rica’s idealic past is just too good for most people to willingly let go of. If that’s the case, it won’t be the end of it. The high cost of isolation will become apparent, and eventually people will realize that integration is the only option.

paumatom

Hi Terry- I did read the article, but as GT confirms in his post, Arias did not have the votes neeeded to pass the agreement. The only option was to call for a national vote, which he did last week.

terrycook

Hi, paumatom as usual there are 2 sides to every story. What the artical said (although admittedly political) was that the Government had 38 of 57 votes and “that proves that it will be ratified”. I hope this is not the case but am not really sure/ or missed the other information that challanges this information. Please comment or direct me to a good source of information.
    terry from texaa

harvcarp

Saw no confirmation in GT post (common sense as usual) that indicates not enough votes needed to pass.
    If and when it comes to the people, my unofficial poll of relatives and their friends indicates a generally favorable vote.
    The offer of referendum has met with opposition from some groups and organizations that oppose passage.
    Looking at both sides of the issue, I would support Arias.

Harvey

Edited on Apr 19, 2007 11:28

paumatom

Hi Terry- Well letme start over. This past Saturday ( April 14th.) there was an article in the San Diego paper stating that Pres. Arias was sending CAFTA to the people for a national vote. I think the following happened: ( and the number of votes he had didn’t matter)

On Weds or Thurs of last week the TSE ruled that CAFTA opponents could force a national referendum if they gathered a certain number of signatures. ( see Tico Times: http://www.ticotimes.net/business.htm )
    Arias, realizing there would be no problem gathering enough signatures, announced he would send CAFTA to a national vote.
    I guess it wasn’t that he didn’t have the votes to pass it, it was more the fact he couldn’t stop a national vote.

So that’s my understanding and I was just looking for furhter insight not based on the article by Scott.

terrycook

paumatom, Thanks for this excellent site to read. It really does show that there are more sides to every story. I think Aries is probably a good President and hope what ever happens that it proves to be the best for the country. Personally I have seen soooo much b.s. from the U.S. Government and know that almost everything they do is about more money and gaining strength/control over the world so “we” can get a larger basis to realize money to run this huge maching and also help it grow even larger.
    thanks
    terry from texas

diego

Ticos should continue to be cultural expansionist, and political and national isolationist.

Gringo Tico,

There was an excellent letter to amcostarica.com on Tuesday April 17th (Free Trade Treaty Tradeoff Could Be Traditional Lifestyle) that to me exemplifies why CAFTA should be rejected.

You echo it in your statement: “Costa Rica’s idealic past is just too good for most people to willingly let go of.” And why should they let go of their traditions?

The future is a state of change so holding on to the past without changing is not recommended. But the changes one needs to make to adapt with the future do not need to be wholesale changes – like the many high-rise projects that will be polluting the coastline. It’s pathetic.

You said – “The high cost of isolation will become apparent, and eventually people will realize that integration is the only option.”

I take the opposite stand and say “The high cost of Participation will become apparent, and eventually people will realize that isolation is the only option.”

Why not stick to ideals? I do. And I do not succeed at times, but I do live my ideal life and that became reality by some compromises and absolutely no “sell-outs.” CAFATA is a bad choice for adapting to the future. It is not a compromise – it is a sell-out. As the author of the amcostarica.com article explains, it will lead to materialism and less pura vida. So I guess it depends on what you think is progress. More stuff or more community interaction.

The US destroys culture everywhere its rampant marketing machine goes. Keep your culture CR. And that might mean keeping Americans and their “fortify myself in my stucco mausoleum and talk to no one except those of the same economic class as me” attitude away.

It is already affecting the CR culture as the new generation is moving farther from agriculture and becoming Gringo like snooty with some of the same “entitled attitude” as their US counterparts.

My favorite people in CR are not “Gringos,” although I am from the US, I have some good friends that get “Pura Vida” mostly old timers that have been here a long time, but the new gringos are cultural isolationist. They want there big screens and yada yada yada. Personally I wish those types would all go back to the states. I hope the “new wave of crime” will keep them at home.

I am already making my CR exit strategy. Unfortunately CR is now for business. And I am a realist, CAFTA will pass. CR will be devoured and turned into a US retirement local. All this will happen, although I wish it wouldn’t. So you have to plan for the future. Where is the next CR? I have found mine – where is yours?

Ticos should continue to be cultural expansionist, and political and national isolationist.

diego

trade secret…

maravilla

Hey, Diego, I never thought it would happen but I agree with you 150%. The gringos you talk about want to turn CR into the next Maya Riviera, Costa Smeralda, or Malibu, all living behind those huge fences and being leary of anyone not of their supposed social class. I hope they go home, too, and leave CR alone, but I guess that’s too much to hope for. I’ve seen what the mega rich have done to part of Colorado and it’s appalling. These are the people I’m trying to get away from and there they go. . . off to ruin another pristine place.

diego

Maravilla,

Just because I blame the American female for most of our cultural ills, doesn’t mean you don’t have to agree with me (Sarcastic humor). Many focus their relationships on uniformity. If we think the same, talk the same and look the same way – we are the same. That doesn’t work with me. I believe in unity through uniqueness. Problem is most people do not want to take the time to be unique or think through others unique ideas (because they are different).

Most think it easier and safer to join a group, a click. When you get a large amount of them, like those that base their self definition – their identity, on their net worth, the theory of unity through diversity becomes obsolete, not because of the ideology but because of the quantity of different people that have the same self definition.

Money intensifies. If you get money before you develop your self and identity, you become a more intense version of who you are. If you are cool you become cooler, if you are an a** you become a bigger ass.

It’s not about money. It is about learning and most important is experience. Experience, what we do, the application of our knowledge to the world, fashions our self definition.

Most women “say” they don’t like my brash attitude and point of view because its pro male and interestingly enough if you can get by my laundry list of women’s responsibilities (because they birth people and emotionally and financially control the world) you see that I am pro woman too. I am pro feminine and pro masculine. What’s really screwing us up is the blending of masculine and feminine. More interesting is the fact they claim not to like my opinions but I have been very successful with women.

The fanatic Muslims are our great teachers. They said “we will treat your imbalance with our imbalance (extreme cultural bias) and let’s see if one tempers the other. Boom – the towers.

The Muslin faith has rigid doctrine regarding the duties of men and women. It has balance between the sexes and though “liberated” women do not buy into this, motherhood and being the emotional glue that holds a family together through this short mystical roller coaster called life is the most important occupation.

American women no longer see their traditional importance. All my male buddies are fed up with it. They hate the desperate housewife syndrome and the sex in the city mentality. Honor, grace and dignity is what men can no longer find from most women. What they do find in coastal CA is fake boobs, drunkenness and an endless list of material wants waiting to be satisfied daily.

It’s like the difference between Sade and Britney Spears. One is classy, feminine and intriguing. The other is flashy, trashy and reveling. Sade body is covered, literally in beautiful fashion. Britney’s body is uncovered with a prostitutes gear. I know which one I would choose. Girls night out in the US, now a common occurrence in the US where women group together in bars, would be viewed as prostitutes night out in CR. One incedibly sexy woman is Harris Faulkner of Fox News. She is gourgeous, a conservative and religious. (Please, for my information, who would you view as attractive female role models??? – Hopefully not Laura Bush).

I know I went way off track but my point is we do not have to agree on everything in order to be linked. It’s like the Jewish diamond dealers who haggle all day, raise their voices, push their opinions and agendas but at the end of the day they are breaking bread at the same table.

They retain their unique agendas while remaining unified. And what unifies them? The table. Who is at the table? Their wives and children. Who made the food and birthed the children? The women. Women are culture fabric and children are the man and woman’s common thread. People see that when they come to CR and yearn for that traditional ways now lost in much of the US.

maravilla

You know what, Diego, you actually DO have a softer, kinder side. And no Laura Bush is not my ideal woman. In fact, I find very few high profile women to be my role models. I think the whole Britney, Paris, Lindsey Lohan, Nicole Richie group of twits to be a huge pimple on the a** of humanity. It frightens me that anyone, especially young women, would want to emulate these brazen, low-class sluts with money. They should all be sent to Gitmo for a couple of months, and maybe their parents, too. The girls night out concept is anathema to me. I’ve never done that, and never would, primarily because I don’t even drink, and bars disgust me. I’ll have to think about the women I admire — off the top of my head there isn’t anyone really, especially not Laura or Hillary, or Nacy Pelosi (with her Manolo shoes and prada suits and eyebrow lift!LOL). Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I’m beginning to understand from where you original diatribe on women originates, and I can’t say that you’re all that far off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.