Kindle 2 – Con Pura Vida

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Kindle 2 – Con Pura Vida

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I need to ask if anyone is using Kindle 2 in Costa Rica? I am interested in the concept but afraid I will miss my small library. Any thoughts or ideas on using Kindle instead of bring a lifetime of books with you? Are you getting the Kindle downloads WiFi to your reader or by download to your desktop?

Thanks,
    Tom on a Budget in Portland, Oregon

Andrew
    Keymaster

I love books, the feel of them, the look, even the smell of them and simply could not imagine relaxing on the couch with a Kindle in my hand.

As long as you can access Amazon.com I’m assuming you can get your downloads which will of course be a LOT cheaper than shipping to you forwarding service in Miami and then having them ship them to you here…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Tom Friedman, the New York Times’ award-winning columnist, wrote a fascinating column today about Costa Rica’s merging of environmental and energy policy under one governmental ministry. Among other things he notes are the reported doubling of Costa Rica’s forested area in the past ten years or so and the reduction of dependence on oil for electricity production from about fifty percent to just five percent. He also notes that Costa Rica has discovered that it has oil reserves (offshore, I think) but has decided against exploiting them, presumably for environmental reasons.

You can read the entire column at: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/opinion/12friedman.html

davetans

I tried to access Amazon.com using my Kindle2 two weeks ago from Arenal and was unsucessful. Sent an inquiry to Amazon.com when I returned to the states and am waiting for a reply

sueandchris

Scott: Have to agree with you on my response to “actual” books. It is such a luxe feeling to hold and enjoy a book. But I am such a massive reader that I am concerned about this aspect of our upcoming residency in Costa Rica and have actually looked into Kindle. I will follow this thread with interest. We will probably settle in the Atenas or San Ramon areas, so will have to check the high-speed download capacities there. But would certainly also be interested in hearing more about the English-language bookstores in and around San Jose. I prefer to use a lending library, but would be happy to purchase.

Do you know if there is a regular “book swap” among expats there???

Sue

orcas06

sueandchris. There are at least 2 used book stores in Alajuela that have a large selection of English books, some very nice books, at very reasonable prices. Neither one is mine but I want to respect the rules of this discussion board so will not give any names. When in Costa Rica, you will find that most ex-pats can send you in the right direction.

jmhardy

I also have a Kindle, and the wireless service that feeds content to them definitely does not work all over the world. But there’s an easy fix to that, as Scott alluded to. Simply download the books in their native AZW format to your PC, connect your Kindle to your PC via the USB cable the came with it, and simply copy the files directly onto the Kindle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.