Jan Hart’s article

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Jan Hart’s article

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

I just wanted to take a minute to thank Scott for the recent article by Jan Hart.

Which you can read at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/3686.cfm ]

These great “slice-of-life” articles continue to inspire. I also took a minute to go to Jan’s website and read all about her friend’s property “Finca La Puebla”. I sure with I had seen this two weeks ago.

We met two very nice folks from Montana who were looking to move here and continue their work with organic food production and small animal husbandry.

I am afraid that we discouraged them, talking only about all the pesky bugs and weather problems. Then I read about this great organic farm…..darn!! Needless to say, I just forwarded this link to them and happily ate some crow!!

Love it when we get to hear from folks on WLCR who are doing great pioneering work here in Costa Rica!

Thanks again Scott!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks Sue – [i]Con mucho gusto[/i]…

I love Jan’s musings too which funny enough is why I keep on publishing them … 😆

You don’t reach Jan’s age without having learned or realized a few things that you and I have yet to discover…

Hopefully she’ll be doing that for many more years to come …

Scott

maravilla

i love her musings, too, and agree with almost everything in this article except the part about cockroaches and cane toads. i know their place in the hierarchy of civilization and bio-diversity, but i will not grant a pass to the cockroach who has crawled in through a pipe or under the front door. they are quickly dispatched!! cane toads get shooed away but the one in my garden, who has been wreaking havoc everywhere and pouncing on my plants, flattening them to the ground, got a bee-bee to the head this morning. my job was to fling it off into the back 40 but when i went to get it it had ambled off,apparently unfazed by two shots to the head. the rest of the critters i can deal with, even the spiders. i expect to find a big pile of bufo poop in my walled garden in the morning.

sprite

I read her articles here. This one, for me, is about “live and let live” which is something, as a vegetarian, I try my best to do. Not always easy when I come across a biting fire ant, a sucking mosquito or a cockroach.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Accepting some of the insects as part of nature, is much easier to do when you are not trying to grow an organic garden.
    It is not the fire ant, mosquito or cockroach that does the damage…:cry:

jan hart

Thanks to everyone who has sent in comments to the article! I appreciate all of them and do understand how difficult it is to let a cockroach scamper by or a cane toad to hop through – but they are also pretty comical if you watch them! Also, Frank’s Finca La Puebla organic farm has been completely organic for 15 years and the balance in nature makes it really un necessary to spray or try to protect them. Nature already knows how to do it… We continue to learn a lot and are looking for somene who would like to help manage his farm. Email me at jan@janhart.com for more info. Pura Vida!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.