Jaco/Punta Leona

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Jaco/Punta Leona

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    discuss

After the shock of seeing the real estate prices in Escazu, I had an epiphany: Jaco/Punta Leona. 1 hour and 1/4 from the airport, right on the beach, properties for less than 150k. I guess that, if one goes for 10 minutes walk from the beach, maybe there is something at just above 100k.

As I wrote, I am not considering CR as a cheap place to crash. I understand that, to live with the usual North American standards, one has to pay a premium in CR. At the same time, if CR becomes as expensive as everywhere else in North America, then it would just be easier to live elsewhere where there are jobs etc.

Thoughts about Jaco? Risks, opportunities, quality of life for a married couple, well under 55, no kids? It seems there it may get way hotter than in SJ, other than that everything looks cool at least from what I see online.

We’ll rent there, instead of Escazu, when we visit CR in November. Tickets already booked, I just have to choose a hotel.

THANKS!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Jaco is definitely not for everyone, so come and visit and see for yourself, if you decide the this area is for you, then rent for a while. Very different climate from Escazú and San José, which can raise up your electric bills.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”discuss”]After the shock of seeing the real estate prices in Escazu, I had an epiphany: Jaco/Punta Leona. 1 hour and 1/4 from the airport, right on the beach, properties for less than 150k. I guess that, if one goes for 10 minutes walk from the beach, maybe there is something at just above 100k.

As I wrote, I am not considering CR as a cheap place to crash. I understand that, to live with the usual North American standards, one has to pay a premium in CR. At the same time, if CR becomes as expensive as everywhere else in North America, then it would just be easier to live elsewhere where there are jobs etc.

Thoughts about Jaco? Risks, opportunities, quality of life for a married couple, well under 55, no kids? It seems there it may get way hotter than in SJ, other than that everything looks cool at least from what I see online.

We’ll rent there, instead of Escazu, when we visit CR in November. Tickets already booked, I just have to choose a hotel.

THANKS![/quote]

Be sure to visit both places during different times of the year and keep in mind the traffic, people, and problems that flood them during different times of the year (and day for that matter). Holidays (for the Ticos) and tourist (during the vacation seasons) looking for “fun” can change your opinion quickly.

I find Jaco a nice place to visit during the daylight hours… nice shops and places to eat (a bit expensive)… the night time hours become another story. As to living there fulltime… that would be your call based on your experience, investigation, and tolerance. Renting for a good period through the CR holidays and the North American vacation season will give you a good idea if the town is for you!

Best of luck!

barbara ann

We have lived in Jaco for more than five years. We live in Jaco Centro.

The temperatures are warm, from 75, rarely low, to close to 100. we have a pool and use it often, Our electric bill runs from 200-225. we do not use air except at night in our bedroom. the crime is petty crime as it is all over the country. passports, cameras and computers left openly in vehicles or on the beach.

Jobs are not easy to find as a gringo unless you are bilingual. there are some instances that hire bilingual, but not easy to find. You can open a business here as a Gringo.
    ‘Now the quality of life is good, you have to adjust to differences in culture. we have two pastors that live close about 40ish with families. If you want to get involved in helping children then the possiblities are unlimited.

As far as a house on the beach tico houses are available. A tico house may or may not have hot water, kitchen cabinets or a traditional american stove.

We bought here because there are three supermarkets here in Jaco, San Jose is only one hour away with the new highway. Doctors and other facilities are available here in Jaco. Property taxes are inexpensive here and I believe all over the country, telephone is inexpensive and water is cheap too. Our neighbors are great, did not know when we bought that there were Americans around us.

If you are interested in church Horizon church is here in Jaco and Costa Rica is a Catholic country. Our neighbors founded Horizon. There is a library here that was started by an American, Liana Robinson, she is on facebook. You can volunteer for the library.

When you come here opportunities are endless if you are willing to give of yourself and relax, I always say to leave your type A personality on the border.

THANKS![/quote]

discuss

Thank you all! I would have assigned more thank you points, but I have already spent my daily quota giving them to CosaRicaFinca 🙂

Sure, there is no substitute for a first-hand experience.

We travel a lot, we wake up early and we are quite active during the day. But we also go to sleep early. We would probably be not outside after 9pm, that usually keeps most of the troubles away 🙂

I think there is space for everyone: locals, visitors, foreigners who are becoming locals, people who want to relax, party-goes, etc. As long as there is respect.

1) Is there any residential area which is quite and in line with American building standards? Maybe a gated community at a walking distance from the sea. I work online, my wife can teach yoga and pilates in the resorts near-by if possible without too much hassle, so location is not an issue, as long as it is not too far from SJ and it is safe, nice, clean and quiet. If you know, what’s a realistic cost for a townhouse or apartment in such residential area? Or I can google it if I get the names of the areas.

2) Would a 2k spendable budget per month allow for a decent lifestyle for a couple? That would be $450 for the Caja, $250 for electricity, $50 for internet, and the rest for rent, food, car costs and small expenses?

3) Naive question… but I need to know considering it is my livelihood. Is the internet fast there? I need to be reachable almost 24/7, Sunday to Friday.

Thanks!

barbara ann

there are different levels of internet at different prices. the two suppliers are ICE and Cabletica. I think ICE has better service, but everyone probably has a different opinion. You should be fine with the internet we have a friend that works from here during nov-mar. He does animation thru his company in the states and is satisfied with the service here.

As far as American building standards, you really have to watch, Americans may build here but the standards are not necessarily the same as the states, No building permits, etc, a lot of workers are self taught.

We are selling our house here that has American building standards but there always some issues, lack of availability to products we are used to in the states, etc.

Good luck to you, it is a great place to live with nice people, ticos and nicas that try and help as much as possible.

You have to leave every 90 days unless you have residency and there are different types of residency. this website should have an area that explains the categories and requirements. As far as food costs, you can control them as long as you don’t try and eat American or Foreign imports. If you eat like the ticos, veggies, rice, beans and small amounts of meat you should be able to do it. We have Costco/Pricesmart here in San Jose where you can get your American fix, or Automercado carry some imports.

discuss

Thank you Barbara! Yes, the 90 days visa would be a good way to test the water. However, we do not want to be perpetual tourists… 🙂 If we do decide to settle there, we’ll take the necessary steps to become rentistas.

If you do have an idea of the real-estate costs in the area, please let me know. Unless your property is still on sale in 1.5-2 years from now, I don’t see us making an offer 🙂 but it would be really helpful to have an opinion about prices.

Thanks!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Your wife cannot legally work until she is a Permanent resident and the law is enforced, else employers have to pay a hefty fine. There are [i]lot’s[/i] of yoga teachers here, both expat and locals, looking for work.
    The less expensive houses are less likely to be built to North American standards. While internet speed may be fine, it is advisable that electronics be turned off when the lightning storms come in, which during the rainy season is most days. Many homes have a tin roof which make is very difficult to hear yourself think when the rain is pouring down…. We can’t hear our TV or use Skype, when the rain is heavy, so this could cause you problems. This is not just in Jaco.
    As a [i]Rentista[/i], $2500 will be transferred into you living expense account….but you are [u]not[/u] required to spend it all.

barbara ann

you have to be very careful with people selling real estate here. I had a brokers license in the states. we bought thru an agency here. when we were looking, if we saw the same property with two different agents they quoted different prices. They did not keep documents in order. drove me crazy. they don’t quote you costs for closing, just different. so be careful, find someone you can trust when you are ready. Licensing to sell real estate is really non existent here, there is not an mls. National chains from the states are not necessarily represented by license people, there is a new condo development on the beach opening up called Crocs, I think an American is the investor or builder., Supposed to open in December Take care

discuss

Thank you Barbara!

CostaRicaFinca: I though the automatic deposit for rentista has to be converted in colones. Meaning there is some loss on the exchange rate. But I did not know the amount HAS to be spent each month. How can they enforce that?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Sorry… that was a typo! I’ll fix it!

You should avoid purchasing property in low lying areas due to flooding which often occurs during the rainy season, like now 😥

jreeves

My home is about 30 minutes south of Jaco – home prices will be lower if you get a bit away from there. You could buy a freestanding home in my neighborhood for around $125K currently (24/7 guarded community) & rent for around $800 a month long term. You’d have to cover your own electric as there aren’t many property owners with beach homes that will throw electric in with the rental price with how expensive the electric is at the beach. Be sure to consider transportation into your monthly budget. You’d be at a real disadvantage if you tried to live at our beach without a car, but you could live fine without one in Jaco & get around on bike or by taxi & rely on the bus if you want to do the tourist thing.

Jessica

VictoriaLST

We came to CR in 2012 to look at a house on Jaco Beach. After 3 days of looking at costs (electric, etc), watching all the tourists (as opposed to permanent residents), noticing that the sea air was already corroding metal (3 year old railings on decks), we headed to Nuevo Arenal. After looking at similar costs and 5 hours of seeing homes, we bought our home. The lake are is amazing. Check it out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.