Is there a way to be assured we can build?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Is there a way to be assured we can build?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We are close to closing on a lot, and were wondering if there is any way to be assured that we will be able to obtain building permits, as well as utilities.
    This is not in a subdivision or a gated community, and it borders a national park.
    The reason that we haven’t been able to close yet is because the lot is not thru the registration process yet and MINEA is being understandably picky about the fact that the property borders a national park.The topographer is working on it, and feels that we are “almost there”
    With that said, assuming that the property is able to be properly registered, is there a way to be sure that there will not be problems once it is ours?
    Believe me, I realize that everything, including permits and utilities can take forever in Costa Rica, but I am more interested to know if there is anything in Costa Rican realestate law that will speak to this issue.
    This piece of land is perfect for us, and we have been waiting quite a long time for the registration process to complete. We are told that because there are so many “I”s to dot ant “T” s to cross, that in the end the laws are comprehensive and clear, and that once the registration process is complete that we will be alright and the land will be clear of any problems.
    Is this true that the registration process will inherently provide us with a buildable property? I’ve asked our lawyer there to take a look and he seems to think that there should not be a problem. BUT, is it advisable and/or possible to obtain assurance that we will be able to build and get water and electricity?
    The registration process has taken MUCH longer than anticipated, does this signal future problems?
    Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You should be able to consult with ICE about electricity and telephone service and with your local water utility about water. These are commonly asked questions.

Do you have an architect on the team yet? If yes, s/he should be able to guide you through the checks. If not, your attorney should be able to provide this service. And whatever it costs is worth the peace of mind.

I wouldn’t close ’til I had assurances of utilities firmly in hand.

Sorry to butt in, but side note. See your email address as Key West. We are heading back down the end of next month, from Key Colony Beach, FL Keys. Where are you buying? Just interested, Thanks, Debbie

Hire a professional architect or engineer who lives and works in the municipality where the property is located to begin the preliminary design work. Explain to the professional your desire to build your project on the property and give him a copy of the catastro and the informe registral from the Registro Nacional if they are available. Once you’ve gotten to know the professional a little better, ask if he/she can get a letter from the municipal building department that states your property is in an area governed by the municipalidad and that they permit new construction in that area. Whatever it costs you to hire the professional you should consider inexpensive insurance that you’re not going to end up with a property you can’t build on. You apparently like that area and if this particular property doesn’t work out then the preliminary design work done by the professional will be useful for another building site that is permitable in that area. Good luck!

GreciaBound

Most municipalities have a Plano Regulador person that checks on the “uso del suelo”.
    Hire a local architect to get the plano reviewed before you close on the property. This should prevent any surprises happening to you with your perfect property.

jessicab

Would it be advantageous to hire an Architect, Attorney or consult ICE before you purchase a piece of property? Someone asked about this before they close on a piece of property and wanted to know if it will be feasible to build on.
    I have my eye on a beautiful piece of land in Sabalito (windsurfing) side of Lake Arenal, but there is no documentation about the water except it was noted that there is a water connection on the property, which is coming from the village of Tierras Morenas. The road to the property is a right of way. The power and main phoneline is approximately 670 meters. $10,000 to $15,000 is a lot for power (excluding telephone) and what happens to the cost if others hook into the line you paid for?
    All the advice would be deeply appreciated. If this is feasible, could someone recommend an Architect and Attorney in that area? Thank you. Jessica

apexit

Sir
    My Architect, Leo Barrantes has been to the USA for 4 year while he attended high school in Pa. So he speakes english well. Always get the Plano (survey) number or the survey sent it to Leo and ask him to look it up on the Risk site. Truts me and do this and you will see why I told you. Leo has been an architect in CR for 25 years. His email leobarra108@yahoo.com.ar Phone cell in CR is 881 1211. If you are in US ask him to skype. Highly trustworthy and honest.
    Stan Putra

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.