Is it true about Costa Rica prescription coverage?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Is it true about Costa Rica prescription coverage?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    editer

I searched the articles in wlcr for information about the CAJA and the cost of medication. One of the articles revealed that if a doctor prescribes a medication for a patient, CAJA will pay the entire cost. I apologize for starting a thread on a subject already covered, but I want to reassure my mom who’s afraid she will have to keep paying her U.S. insurance premiums to get her medication in Costa Rica. Thanks for responding

editer

harvcarp

Hello Editer

Will your Mom be eligible for the CAJA coverage?

Harvey

editer

Hey Harvey,

I think that if you are a resident of Costa Rica and pay the nominal fee, you can take advantage of the national health care system. The following article has good information:

https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/248.cfm

The pittance that is required for payment is stunning considering that I’m paying nearly $500 a month for catastrophic insurance which I carry to protect some property that I own. I just had some blood tests performed so that I could get my prescriptions renewed. Because the office visit wasn’t considered a catastrophic need, I have to pay $300. When it comes to health care for its citizens, the U.S. is back in the dark ages while Costa Rica lines up with the most advanced industrialized nations.

editer

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Two additional considerations: First, the CAJA system does not provide all available medications. The two expensive ones that I use are not available through the CAJA. There might be cheaper ones that are available and equally effective but I haven’t checked.

Second, I have been told that only prescriptions written by physicians practicing in the CAJA system are honored. That is, if you to to a doctor at (say) CIMA Hospital, his or her prescription will not be honored by the CAJA pharmacy.

Edited on Jul 19, 2008 06:05

maravilla

If you mom is taking a long list of medications, it would be wise to check and see which ones are even available in Costa Rica. There may be generic substitutes but there may not be, especially if she is taking newer, very expensive meds.

editer

Thanks David and maravilla. These are all important points that I will follow up on.

Frank

costaricafinca
    Participant

It is important to know that one must be a legal resident of Costa Rica to obtain CAJA coverage. This can take a year or more…
    The meds. covered are often generic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.