Is it possible to drive down to Panama?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Is it possible to drive down to Panama?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

Can one drive down to Panama from the Caribbean side? That is, from Cahuita-Puerto Viejo down to Sixaola to Bocas Del Toro, down to David and eventually to Panama City? Have any of you done it? How are the roads? I’m sure Panamanian roads are better.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We’ve not made a trip to Panama, so I can’t comment on road conditions, etc. I can share two things with you, however.

First, you cannot take any rental car across the border to either Panama or Nicaragua.

Second, before you try to drive across the border, you must obtain the proper documents for your Costa Rica-registered vehicle. One source of those documents would be your own attorney.

colleen.1

All the roads in Panama appear to be in far better condition than Costa Rica. Having gone to Bocas on several occasions we have chosen to take the local bus rather than our car as a car is totally unnecessary on the islands. Water taxis are all over and very cheap ( generally US$1.00 to go across to different islands but depends on how far the island is that you wish to visit).

watchdog

If you are taking a Costa Rican registered vehicle to either Panama or Nicaragua, you must first obtain a Permit for the vehicle from a Branch of the National Registry for the date of exit and return to Costa Rica. If the vehicle is registered in a personal name by way of a Passport,Costa Rica Residency, or Identity Card, you will need to show that document along with the plate number of the vehicle to obtain the Permit. If the vehicle is registered in a Costa Rican Corporation, a Personeria (Power of Attorney) will have to be prepared by a Notary Public to show at the National Registry, along with the personal identity document of the party empowered, and the plate number of the vehicle, to obtain the Permit.

I have a good friend who has lived in David, Panama for a number of years and he simply won’t go through all the garbage at the border crossings. His advice is to simply take the bus and “leave the driving to others.” Border crossings in a private car can be very interesting and may consume copious amounts of time, whereas bus crossings are routine and generally are hitch free. The other comments are on target……..so now it’s up to you. 😀

Still trying to figure out how I managed to post the same thing twice. My excuse is right now I am in Minneapolis (Brrrr..)when I should be in Costa Rica and I think the cold weather has affected the blood flow to both my brain and fingers. Sorry for the goof!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.