Is Costa Rican healthcare in trouble?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Is Costa Rican healthcare in trouble?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rxmurphy

This weeks Tico Times as scaring me a bit. Or are the Caja budget cuts just another example of government inefficiency?
    [url=http://www.ticotimes.net/Current-Edition/Top-Story/Hospitals-feeling-pinch-of-Caja-budget-cuts_Friday-February-10-2012]Your text to link here…[/url]

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Seems to me that cutting costs in the face of reduced revenues reflects anything but inefficiency, governmental or otherwise. What would be the “efficient” alternative?

maravilla

the efficient alternative would be to have no system at all, like the US!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]the efficient alternative would be to have no system at all, like the US![/quote]

Well, [b]that[/b] would certainly have a beneficial effect on Costa Ricans’ overall health status.

An old quote from Peter Drucker of the Harvard Business School says that efficiency is doing things right while effectiveness is doing the right things. I’ll take effectiveness every time.

waggoner41

[quote=”rxmurphy”]This weeks Tico Times as scaring me a bit. Or are the Caja budget cuts just another example of government inefficiency?
    [url=http://www.ticotimes.net/Current-Edition/Top-Story/Hospitals-feeling-pinch-of-Caja-budget-cuts_Friday-February-10-2012]Your text to link here…[/url][/quote]

The Caja has had financial problems forever primarily becase of an inefficient tax department that can’t seem to find tax cheats.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″]The Caja has had financial problems forever primarily becase of an inefficient tax department that can’t seem to find tax cheats.[/quote]

. . . or won’t.

That same failure is reflected in the condition of the roads, underfunding of public safety, environmental protection and education, and a host of other shortcomings. Were I looking for something to worry about, underfunding the CAJA would only be one of a number of things on the list.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Not that I give a damn about what S&P thinks (where were they when the US investment firms blew up?) but like too many countries, the fiscal scenario of Costa Rica is more serious than just the CAJA…

While they argue about how and when to implement fiscal reform, the debts are mounting…

From today’s La Nacion.

Standard & Poor’s advierte riesgo al país por su alto déficit fiscal

“La firma calificadora de riesgo Standard & Poor’s mantuvo la calificación de riesgo de la deuda de largo plazo de Costa Rica, aunque advirtió que la ausencia de ajustes que permitan al país una mejoría en el terreno fiscal podría degradar las notas en el futuro.”

[ http://www.nacion.com/2012-02-14/Economia/Standard—Poor-s-advierte-riesgo-al-pais-por-su-alto-deficit-fiscal.aspx ]

waggoner41

[quote=”Scott”] While they argue about how and when to implement fiscal reform, the debts are mounting… [/quote]

Politicians are notorious for their lack of knowledge of economics. They will argue over the most assinine trivia and never have a clue as to the fallout of their decisions. I think most politicians worldwide are trying to figure out ways to put cash in their own pockets and ignoring the future of their countries.

[quote=”Scott”]”La firma calificadora de riesgo Standard & Poor’s mantuvo la calificación de riesgo de la deuda de largo plazo de Costa Rica, aunque advirtió que la ausencia de ajustes que permitan al país una mejoría en el terreno fiscal podría degradar las notas en el futuro.”[/quote]

Costa Rica is still in much better shape than many of the European countries. The decisions that [b]must[/b] be made will anger a lot of citizens if the decision makers gain the intelligence to do it. You have to hope it doesn’t get as bad as it is in Greece if they do.

agarcia

Countries are run more like corporations nowadays. CR would be a prime takeover target by China or maybe Iran. Let the bidding begin.

sprite

This “debt versus national sovereignty” situation is world wide and appears to have been engineered. It looks like a cancer. It began in places like Argentina a decade ago and now has grown and spread. The world is one physicality, not many. As such, there is no part of the world body which would be immune to the fatal effects of this cancer.

Costa Rica is not another world apart. Yet some here want to ban discussion of world events, preferring to focus on local matters such as where they might buy a jar of peanut butter or problems with CAJA. I can’t think of anything more significantly local than the coming destruction of the colon which will mirror the U.S. dollar to which it is pegged.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.