Internet speeds in Central Valley

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Internet speeds in Central Valley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    sprite

Does anyone have experience with an Internet service provider
    by the name of CRWIFI? If so, what speeds are you offered in the Central Valley (San Ramon, Atenas)and how is reliability and what are you paying?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Our friend uses this, and swears by it…but does mention you have to be inline of site. He said the cost is approx $80… [i]if I remember right. [/i]

Simpson

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Our friend uses this, and swears by it…but does mention you have to be inline of site. He said the cost is approx $80… [i]if I remember right. [/i][/quote]

I have used CRWIFI for 5 years and they have excellent service, they are a little expensive but the service never fails and the speeds are quite good. As was pointed out you do need line of site to one of their poles.

pebo1

We also use CrWi-Fi and pay about $90 @ month for 3Mg speed. You can purchase their basic plan for less around $50 I think. They are reliable, professional and respond quickly to messages unlike others in CR.

Highly recommended, you can visit their website for further.

http://crwifi.com

sprite

[quote=”pebo1″]We also use CrWi-Fi and pay about $90 @ month for 3Mg speed. You can purchase their basic plan for less around $50 I think. They are reliable, professional and respond quickly to messages unlike others in CR.

Highly recommended, you can visit their website for further.

http://crwifi.com[/quote%5D

$90 for 3 megs?! I know Costa Rica is not the U.S. but I get 115 Mbps in Miami for that price. I can get a dedicated T1 connection for a couple of hundred bucks per month.

However, I am less concerned about the price and more concerned as to whether or not I can even get at least 100 Mbps in the San Ramon area. I read somewhere that higher speeds are available in some places for many, many hundreds of dollars per month. I don’t know where those areas might be and I need to research into whether or not dedicated lines can even be had. I would pay almost any price as long as I could get speeds sufficient to prevent any slippage in the day trading.

I am pretty sure there are businesses in Costa Rica which require high speed internet at 100 Mbps or more. How are they getting it?

pebo1

You’re right this is not the US so Net speeds for the price don’t compare nor do the prices of cars! This is CR.

I think you can purchase satellite feed for the speeds you seek albeit likely very expensive.

sprite

[quote=”pebo1″]You’re right this is not the US so Net speeds for the price don’t compare nor do the prices of cars! This is CR.

I think you can purchase satellite feed for the speeds you seek albeit likely very expensive.[/quote]

Hmmm. not happy if that is my only option. I have heard horror stories about satellite. I guess my day dream about laying in a hammock by my waterfall and simultaneously zipping through cyberspace at lightning speed ain’t gonna happen for while.
    Maybe I should just unplug and listen to the exotic birds and the falling water.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”sprite”]However, I am less concerned about the price and more concerned as to whether or not I can even get at least 100 Mbps in the San Ramon area….[/quote]

sprite

I guess that answers my query..Hehehe…

Doug Ward

It’s all part of the new math system. SMN.
    10=5 ;5=2.5 ;2.5 = 1.4 and unlimited means 70% of the time or whenever it’s working.

davidd

Scott

thats great!!!

[quote=”Scott”][quote=”sprite”]However, I am less concerned about the price and more concerned as to whether or not I can even get at least 100 Mbps in the San Ramon area….[/quote]

[/quote]

davidd

Sprite

aside from being in that comfort zone of 100 mgs.. why would you need that speed??? I operate my 6 figure business complete online.

What I do is I use a small company here called JAPI

I have a point to point dedicated connection 10mgs down 10 mgs up

only used by me not shared so ths would be the same as a 20 mgs shared here

cost me $265 per month

now I run some high end software that need high speed internet so i have 3 seperate VPS located in Germany that run all my software

I pay $50 per month for each and my speeds there is 300megs down 300 megs up

and I just communicate with those.. and there you have it 🙂

PS. BUT maybe…. just maybe… if we ask Sweikert he could set us all straight on the facts and tell us which way would be the best way to go lol

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”pebo1″]You’re right this is not the US so Net speeds for the price don’t compare nor do the prices of cars! This is CR.

I think you can purchase satellite feed for the speeds you seek albeit likely very expensive.[/quote]

Hmmm. not happy if that is my only option. I have heard horror stories about satellite. I guess my day dream about laying in a hammock by my waterfall and simultaneously zipping through cyberspace at lightning speed ain’t gonna happen for while.
    Maybe I should just unplug and listen to the exotic birds and the falling water.[/quote]

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”]Sprite

aside from being in that comfort zone of 100 mgs.. why would you need that speed??? I operate my 6 figure business complete online.

What I do is I use a small company here called JAPI

I have a point to point dedicated connection 10mgs down 10 mgs up

only used by me not shared so ths would be the same as a 20 mgs shared here

cost me $265 per month

now I run some high end software that need high speed internet so i have 3 seperate VPS located in Germany that run all my software

I pay $50 per month for each and my speeds there is 300megs down 300 megs up

and I just communicate with those.. and there you have it 🙂

PS. BUT maybe…. just maybe… if we ask Sweikert he could set us all straight on the facts and tell us which way would be the best way to go lol

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”pebo1″]You’re right this is not the US so Net speeds for the price don’t compare nor do the prices of cars! This is CR.

I checked their site (Japi) Dave…. looks pretty cool. Only problem is that as of right now their coverage map looks as if the Central Valley (and a bit beyond) is only where it’s available. I hope they expand to the lake area. The 3g Kolbi service is not bad (basic web surfing, e-mail, and some lite Youtube viewing) when it works (I’m lucky have line of site to a tower and get good service) but I’d love to be able to stream video on a regular uninterrupted basis! 🙁

Imxploring
    Participant

Seems they have less expensive plans with lower connection speeds that would serve most regular folks. So the cost can be a lot lower for us non “power” users.

Imxploring
    Participant

Any other ideas on a better internet connection up my way in Arenal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.