Internet – No cable

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Internet – No cable

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    olsgaard

Hi.

In 6 months we have finished put house in Costa Rica.

We are building in Tres Rios in Puntarenas – up the Mountains.

Ice deliver the power.

My question is – how do we get internet. Ice dont have any cable for internet in this area so we have to go for a 4g solution. We have a pretty good signal by Kölbi.

Do any of your guys know how to get internet with unlimited use. I have tried to find out at Kölbis homepage – but my spanish is not that good.

Thanks

rosiemaji

Try this link: http://kolbi.cr/wps/portal/kolbi_dev/personas/telefonos/4g/mifi_e5573/!ut/p/z1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfIjo8zizQMtHA093A18DNxcLQwcTV2NQkKCDAwtAs31w1EVWIR6mRo4Wjo7Gzgbhxp6-pvpRxGj3wAHcDQgTj8eBVH4jQ_Xj0K1wt3f3BLoAy_j0AAfUyOLEBP8CtzdjfArMDA3Q1eAJZAIObMgNzQ0wiDTM9NRUREAQRw2Ag!!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/#devicePlans Scroll down to see the Kolbi data plans for internet (data plans). It includes the modem (MiFi E5573) that you will need for WiFi (non-wired) internet service. It is a 4g moden/router. However, unless there have been upgrades to mobile towers located outside the city in the last few months, your data will be 3g which is what you most likely get with your current telephone signal. If you are picking up a signal from San Jose, you might be able to get 4g (lucky you!). As you can see, there are several prices with better speeds to match and some plans give you the MiFi free if you sign up for minimum of 2 years. If your Kolbi signal is very good, you might try the 9,900 colones plan where you get the modem free. The “velocidad hasta” is the 3g speed and to the right of that is the 4g speed. Someday, the towers in the countryside will be upgraded to 4g. My advise is to not pay for a higher speed unless the signal you are getting is at least at that level (trial and error on your part). You will need to go to ICE to get this set up. Just hope that they are not out of the modems. I bought my own unlocked one and brought it from the US because they were sold out of them at ICE in January. It was exactly the same model number. Get it at ICE before Christmas. After that, they will mostly likely be sold out. Download Google Translate on your phone to help you communicate with them in person if your Spanish is not good. Sometimes they have people who speak English there, but not always.

BillNew
    Participant

You may also check to see if you can get service from
    http://crwifi.com/

olsgaard

Thank you very much.

It the use unlimited – or can I only download eg 3gb a month?

rosiemaji

[quote=”olsgaard”]Thank you very much.

It the use unlimited – or can I only download eg 3gb a month?[/quote] It is the 4g LTE service that is limited to 3gb per month. If that limit is reached, the service would revert to the slower 3g or 3g+ which is then unlimited for the rest of the month. That is the ICE service. Since you are fairly close to San Jose, it would seem reasonable to check into and compare all wireless service providers that offer service at your location.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.