Insurance claim for stolen tools

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Insurance claim for stolen tools

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

A friend of mine got local home insurance and then had tools burglarized from her garage.

The agent told her they weren’t covered as they aren’t considered “normal household goods”. Any comments?

costaricafinca
    Participant

It is very difficult to get paid for any claim, of items stolen in the course of any robbery, as you have to prove that the building was broken into. Was the garage also insured? Or just the house? We had many tools taken from an adjoining garage and also the motor from a cement mixer, plus other ‘large construction items’ taken from a building site in a separate robbery. They wouldn’t pay.

VictoriaLST

Proving the building was broken into is no problem. I wonder if things like tools actually need to be “specifically insured” (like fine arts) or if the companies are just being dodgy.

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricafinca”]It is very difficult to get paid for any claim, of items stolen in the course of any robbery, as you have to prove that the building was broken into. Was the garage also insured? Or just the house? We had many tools taken from an adjoining garage and also the motor from a cement mixer, plus other ‘large construction items’ taken from a building site in a separate robbery. They wouldn’t pay.[/quote]

I brought all of my construction tools with me when I moved here. I have many of my power tools on the patio next to the house and others along with my hand tools in a small bodega with an attached apartment about 20 feet from the house in which one of the boys lives.

We have five dogs that alert us when anyone comes around the property even if they are well known friends. There is ALWAYS someone “at home” with the number of persons (12) living here.

I would not depend on an insurance company to make good on anything that might be lost to ladrones of any type.

paula1

Hello Victoria,
    We are currently changing our INS policy from Hogar 2000 to Hogar Comprehensivo and have just reviewed the exclusions. Unfortunately tools are specifically excluded. We are purchasing some coverage for contents as we are then able to insure two domestic employees, ie a gardener and a housekeeper, for a minimal cost. This policy is new and might be of interest to people wanting to insure employees for workplace accidents.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.