Insect bites

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Insect bites

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jd

It seems to me that native Costa Ricans don’t get many insect and mosquito bites. Are they immune to bites or do they just use a lot of bug repellent? I am here with 4 children and they have so many bites it looks terrible.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have traveled all over Costa Rica and have been bitten about ten times in eight years… Hasn’t been a problem for me or anyone in my family

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

mbrydenthal

I have heard the following “myths/truths” about bites….

Bugs are attracted to people with high levels of stress….and that after you have been in the area for a while the bites occur less often…

A lack of the vitamin B1 or B2 (not sure which one)….I had some friends load up on the B vitamins and it did not seem to help….

My feet get eaten alive….my wife and children dont get bit….
    A friend told me it was because my feet were pale….

I believe stress has something to do with it….

*Lotus

Insects are attracted to scents, different people emit different scents. I am like Scott no problems with bugs, my daughter and girlfriend get bitten like crazy! Try the avon product skin so soft, a product with a high concentration of deet (I don’t like the chemicals but…) or citronella oil. I also read in one of the papers there is a new non toxic spray or wrist band that has been working really well and is sold in most pharmacies in Costa Rica. I may have read this in AMcostarica.com or the tico times?

Edited on Aug 10, 2007 06:39

mysticmaiden

Essential oil of citronella is great for a natural repellent and Oil of Geranium great for the itch (at Bio Salud health food stores)

ssure

I never get bit at home in Canada, and we have some 4 wheel drive saucy ones flying around here. I swear I can sometimes hear the Costa Rican ones laughing in Spanish as they mount their nightly offensive! Nothing seems to work 100% of the time for me, but deet sprays help a lot. Someone told me I should eat a lot of garlic while in C.R., because that helps but I’ve never tried it. I really think diet must have something to do with. They just don’t eat Costa Rican’s like they seem to eat me.

terrycook

ssure…I was here last year for 3 months and here for a month so far on this 6 month trip. I just spent a week in Monteverde jungle Including night walks in the rain/ jungle and 3 weeks at the beach area and only ¨saw¨one misquito….I was born and raised in Miohigan and then Texas and always got eaten alive. I eat mostly junk greasy Tico Cantina Food so should be delicious to these guys but Never a bite yet…..no answere just input. OH just thought I am Drinking lots more Beer local only brand (and no more Whiskey and coke) maybe they give us with good taste a break
    Terry Cook

Peg

I read somewhere that if you put a dryer sheet (fabric softner sheet), in your pocket, that skeeters won’t bother you. I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet. Who knows, it might work.

Ripple33

I have heard the same about the dryer sheet. I have never had a problem with Mosquitos in CR but have gotten bitten in the Central Valley particularly walking in farm type areas where there are cattle, high grass ect. Ticos say they are no see ums but they are not what we call no see ums in the US. Funny how all bugs are called bichos. These bugs which you dont feel when they bite you cause a extreme itching and cause red type welts usually on your legs, feet and ankles. They itch like hell for about a week and a half. Really a bad deal. I found that ammonia works best to cut down on the itch.

Another type of bug that got my wife in January is what I think is a blister beatle. This is a nasty creature. Left discoloration and welt on her hands which looked like a severe grease burn. It also spread initially. She did not see this bug bite her but the best I can tell from talking to people in CR and researching on the internet. This was from a bug called a blister beatle. Went to a doc in the states and they had no clue what caused it or what to do. She took benedril for a long while and it finally resolved after several months. Really nasty creature. Hope I dont come in contact with one. If anyone has more information on these bugs or treatment for future I would love to have it. Also the “no see ums”

Andrew
    Keymaster

There are many areas in Santa Ana that were previously cattle farms and have now been developed. Obviously a zillion cow pats over over goodness knows how many years has helped create an ideal environment is certain areas for ‘muchos bichos‘ or lots of biting insects.

Thankfully this only occurs at certain times of the year, this year we had quite a few flies in June but after a few weeks they disappeared.

There are some cases of dengue in Santa Ana and Ciudad Colon but compared to the highlands of Scotland at the beginning of springtime, the fly situation here is a breeze.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.