INS, private health insurance

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum INS, private health insurance

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    barbara ann

Does anyone know if there is an age limit on acquiring private health insurance in costa rica and if they have pre existing conditions in their requirements?

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”barbara ann”]Does anyone know if there is an age limit on acquiring private health insurance in costa rica and if they have pre existing conditions in their requirements?[/quote]

yes, and yes.

Check with the INS agent on the age limit, but I know they have exclusions for some pre-existing conditions, like “cardio vascular” and “pulmonary”.

I thought last week you were asking about the cost of moving back to the US.

Hopefully that has changed and you are staying here, but if not, you can get an INS “International Policy” that will cover you in the States, but it only pays the costs (rates) that are applicable in CR.

costaricafinca
    Participant

INS exclude many ‘existing conditions’, including high blood pressure and diabetes.
    One cannot sign up for a new policy once you have reached 70.

OTTFOG

[quote=”costaricafinca”]INS exclude many ‘existing conditions’, including high blood pressure and diabetes.
    One cannot sign up for a new policy once you have reached 70.[/quote]

Do they exclude pre-existing conditions permanently or do they exclude them for a period of time?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Depending on what the conditions are, they [u]may[/u] accept the condition but raise the cost of their policy, [u]substantially[/u]. You would need to check with INS.

critterhill

What is INS and how can I contact them? I currently live in the U.S.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[url=http://www.garrettbrokers.com/]Contact this insurance company[/url]

critterhill

Thanks, costaricafinca. I’ll check them out. We’re coming down next year and I’m trying to get all my ducks in a row.

waggoner41

[quote=”critterhill”]What is INS and how can I contact them? I currently live in the U.S.[/quote]

INS is the national insurance company. You can pay for health insurance, car insurance (marchamo), etc through them. There are INS office all over the place.

You can find their web page here: [url=http://www.ins-cr.com/index.html]INS[/url]

If you Google “instituto nacional seguros costa rica” it is the first listing and you can access it in translation mode.

critterhill

Thank you, Waggoner.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.