Info on Caribbean coast

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Info on Caribbean coast

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    terrycook

Hi I am coming to C.R. this summer to look for a permenant place to live. I spent 3 months there last year but never got to the Caribbean areas. I lived in St Thomas with my parents and fell in love with the music of the Caribbean. I am mostly targeting the west coast with many leads from folks here on this site but would like some input of “the other side” good, bad ugly. I am looking for a very basic Tico style living and do not want or expect Gringo style living. I am getting away from the U.S. and all its’ nasty stuff. I want peacefull, simple and very inexpensive life style. Simple Tico housing (no I am not a Rich Gringo) looking to steal something from a local but rather a simple life to retire on a very very limited budget. I am setting up my itinery for 4 or 5 sites and wish any input you can give me
    thanks
    Terry From Texas

Charlie

I have a Tico friend who is remodeling a couple of our apartments. He is amazing with his abilities in construction. He can build from the ground up. His next project is in Puerto Viejo for the next 6 months. If you like that area when you visit I can tell you how to locate him there. He does construction at Tico prices and he can even help you find the lot. I will try and find the website for a hotel which he built an addition for, can’t remember offhand. But you can see the style of work he does. Just let me know if your interested.

terrycook

Charlie…thanks so much..that is why I love this site so much…I would love to get any information or a site to go to. I thank you in advance for the lead, this is exactly what I am hoping to do.
    Terry From Texas

Charlie

Ok, I’m Chicago right now but will be back in CR in 2 weeks. He is actually on my property right now finishing up his work he is doing for me, here is my email, charliequesada@yahoo.com, I will send you the website info once my wife responds to my email, she will ask him what it is.

Charlie

If you go to http://www.agapisite.com, there are a couple pictures, my friend Bin built the upper portion of the hotel, and there is 1 pic of the interior.

ssure

Puerto Viejo is very nice but there are a fair number of tourists around and costs are getting up there.

I go to a small village (about 300 people) where one can buy a lot for $2000 – $3000, a tico style (old and simple) for $5000 – $10,000 and renting an old tico style house is about $75-$100 month (gringo price) and about $35-$50 month (tico price). My son in law took me out to a place where there is no power or water and the lots were even less. No real title’s there but other gringo’s have bought and there seems to be ways around getting your hands on the title. I’m no real estate expert so a good trustworthy C.R. attorney should be consulted. But there are 1/2 doz. gringo’s who own land there, some who have businesses on the land. I know of two motel style hotels there owned by gringo’s. You can stay there for $30 night including meals. And it’s a new building.

The village is called Parismina and you have to take a boat up river to get there. It’s on the way to the National park further up river. A real cultural experience.

I should mention that I am promoting the village because my daughter and her boyfriend live there and have a small business. But I love the place and plan to retire there in a few more years when I hit 55 and can take early retirement. Check out Parismina.com and if you decide to go look for Ross’s hotel. It’s the new one and includes meals. I haven’t seen it yet because it was just opened but I hear it’s the best of the 3 or 4 right in the village. And, of course, (self-promo) look up my beautiful daughter Shannon and her man, Jessie, of Jungle Jessie Tours for THE best tour boat and tours/river fishing etc on the river!

makohan

I would like to know more about this village. I lived in Puerto Viejo two years ago for several months and loved it, but found the cost of living too high to manage on Tico wages. I’m a single mom with two small children, ages 9 and 10. Do you know if any of the people in this village have children, and is there a school? Does the $100 per month rent typically include utilities?

terrycook

makohan….I am a total rookie on this side of the country but for what it is worth I have found a place called Cahuita..or actually Playa Cahuita. I am going to be on the Caribbean side of the country probably sometime in Sept and found a place here that is very reasonable. The place is called Sol Y Mar cabinas & Restaurant. I am leasing a very nice cabin with Hot water,mosquito net and fans…cabinas have a full kitchen with coffee maker, fridge, stove, sitting kitchen area. She has quoted me $175.oo for a month. I think this a fairly normal rate. You can see more about it at http://www.solymarcr.com
    Terry From Texas
    I too am looking for a place that is less expensive than Puerto Viejo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.