Income taxes in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Income taxes in CR

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

Are there income tax forms that expats have to file here in CR? If so, how do we do that?

maravilla

do you have income in costa rica? if not, there is nothing for you to file.

pacific67

[quote=”maravilla”]do you have income in costa rica? if not, there is nothing for you to file.[/quote]

How do I handle it if I make my income in a third country or International waters?

I work on ships and am Canadian. Can I legally reside on a tourist visa and have a Costa Rica bank account?
    Pnamama account and live in Costa Rica?

I know: Keep researching.

I must say, I have been lurking on so many forums, and you-tubes about CR, Panama, and Nicaragua. Great people and diverse opinions. Thanks for sharing.

TK

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You’ll have to consult Canadian tax authorities to learn how they handle taxes on earnings on the high seas or in foreign lands.

You cannot reside long-term and fully legally in Costa Rica on a series of tourist visas. If it’s your plan to reside here, you should apply for whatever category of legal residency you qualify for. Otherwise, you could (and may) be denied entry at any time.

That said, non-residents (tourists) can own real estate and automobiles and even businesses here.

Nationally-chartered banks in Costa Rica now require that you be a legal resident in order to open an account. The private banks may be more lenient.

I you live in Costa Rica, you can have bank accounts anywhere you wish whether that’s Panama, Canada, or anyplace else.

VictoriaLST

What is form D-151 reporting payments made to others in CR? It seems to have been meant to catch tax fraud by the payment recipients. Expats don’t have to fill out D-151 unless they have a CR income?

maravilla

if you paid someone more than 2.5 million colones, you are required to report that, just as you would be required to report if you were the recipient of that amount, which is the threshold for filing.

david, i am not sure you can own a business here now with the new banking regs. how would you get a business license with no bank account?? and i think i read somewhere that you needed a DIMEX card to do a legal business.

VictoriaLST

Good info, thanks Mara

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You may well be right, maravilla.

(Tastes like ashes in my mouth.)

maravilla

now, david. it can’t be THAT bad, can it? I only know about this issue because it applies to ME!!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Read this informational website regarding being a [url=http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/living-abroad/taxation]non-residents of Canada for income tax purposes[/url]

VictoriaLST

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]You may well be right, maravilla.

(Tastes like ashes in my mouth.)
    [/quote]

Hey, David, I even said “thanks Mara” How about that?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.