In reference to importing your furnishings to CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum In reference to importing your furnishings to CR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sharrack

Hi everyone,
    Great website!!
    I was recently discussing the import tax on whatever goods you bring into the country.
    Is it really that high as to warrant selling everything in The USA before moving to CR?
    The person moving there explained that every object is taxed that you bring with you except for a certain amount per year.
    What is the best plan of attack for people who own tools, materials and home furnishings. Thanks, kenny Sharrocks

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t think it is that high.

I arrived in Costa Rica with 48 boxes of belongings and if I remember rightly paid about $450 in taxes. That’s nothing.

As long as your goods are for personal use and not for resale, the taxes are rarely excessive

You may wish to see the article Import Taxes – How Do They Work? at there are some useful website links in there “if” you speak Spanish

Scott Oliver
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We brought a forty-foot container and everything we owned. Neither the shipping nor the storage nor the Customs duties were excessive. We could not have sold what we owned in the U.S. and replaced with like goods for the cost of shipping everything here.

Moving household goods to Costa Rica has been thoroughly massaged elsewhere in this forum. Do a search on “moving” or somesuch and you’ll have an hour of reading.

sharrack

Thanks everyone and again …excellent website!
    what was the cost of shipping the container and the tax if you mind me asking.
    I could do with a 20 footer. Thanks, Kenny S>

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Our 40-foot container was shipped from Southern Shores, NC (about 100 miles south of Norfolk, VA) to San Jose, unloaded, passed through/by Customs, and the contents put into storage. The cost to get it here from Southern Shores in June, 2005 was about $5,800. Customs and the first month of storage was less than $800 (can’t remember exactly (Halfheimers)). The $5,800 includes a “split” delivery with some things delivered last November and the rest coming when the main house is completed (maybe this October).

Your mileage may vary.

A 20-foot container will be less expensive, but not by a factor of half. It still has to be trucked, loaded, handled, unloaded, passed through Customs, and ultimately delivered to you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.