Importing Vehicle

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Importing Vehicle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jamesgoshen4

I just recently purchased a 1997 Jeep Wrangler (hard top) that is in good condition and runs well. Although it has fairly high mileage (163,000) my brother-in-law (he is tico) is apprehensive to bring this vehicle into the country because it may be better off buying a vehicle in CR. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

grb1063

From the research we have done and all the hassles involved with importing, we found it better to purchase a dependable, used vehicle in CR that has already gone through their “tax” system. I suggest you stick with a common brand found in CR like the Toyotas with Helix diesel engines or Hyundai’s which are fairly easily repaired in towns with sizeable populations. Diesel fuel is currently about the saem price as in the US. The US is one of the few countries in the world where diesel is more exepensive than regular gas, probably due to the fact we have a disproportionate amount of long haul truckers, diesel electric locomotives and a giant military machine that consumes the majority of the diesel.

jamesgoshen4

I need a fairly heavy duty vehicle because of the roads around Guacimo & Guapiles. A hyundai will certainly not work in the area where the car will reside.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Just which Hyundai are you talking about, James? A Sonata might not do well on the roads you plan to drive, but a later-model Galloper or any Terracan will take anything any Jeep will tolerate and smile while doing it.

grb1063

I would agree dm that the best SUV’s down there are the Terracan and the Prado, but I prefer the HiLux 3.0.

TXGringoTico

Hi James ~ You are going to get a lot of information about which vehicle to buy or bring here. While there is no malicious intent in that advice, the vast majority of writers are under-informed.

First, 163,000 miles on a Jeep 4.0 liter 6 cylinder is not bad as long as it has been well cared for. That’s a great motor that will run a loooong time if you treat it right. A hardtop Jeep is a GREAT vehicle to have here, and the taxes won’t be too unreasonable on an 11 year old unit.

Second, many talk about the gap between gas and diesel pricing here. While that is true, I’ve yet to see anyone do the math. Personally, I drive less than one third the distance each month that I drove in the US, so if fuel prices are double, I’m still saving a third. It’s not possible to drive great distances here because of the roads and traffic, so take that into consideration when making your choice.

Third, Terracan is a wonderfully reliable vehicle, and there are others, but… Cars sold new here do not meet the safety standards of their US equivalents. Ever wonder why Hyundai never sold the Terracan in the USA? Even identical vehicles don’t have identical features. I drove a Kia rental in FL this week with 6 airbags. Its local equivalent has one.

The roads here are more dangerous. Why do so many people think it’s OK to drive a vehicle that is less safe? Not to mention that anything used has spent its life on these roads, thus has considerably more wear per mile/kilometer.

My advice? Bring that Jeep!

jdcostarica

A quick check on http://www.hacienda.go.cr/autohacienda/autovalor.aspx shows that Jeep will pay $3,858 in import taxes. (Enter in the car type and then find the valor de importacion and multiply by 0.73) Add on another $500+ for the Marchamo and Inscripcion. And $1500 to bring it down here. The car costs you about $6,000.

A quick search on crautos.com found a ’97 Jeep Wrangler for $14,500, and a ’94 Jeep Wrangler for $8,400, both with the 2.5L engine. The only one on the list with a 4 liter engine is going for $18k (but its seriously tricked out).

So, yeah, bring down your Jeep! But get it lifted (be sure to get fender flares that look factory to the tires don’t come out too far for Riteve, and get all your gear for it there where its cheap.) Or contact me when you get here, I’ve got 4 brand new BFG Mud Terrain 33×12.5 r15 tires that I was going to use on a 4×4 Nissan Patrol that I’m selling instead.

Oh also, be sure to bring it down first with the tourist permit. That way you can work out all the paperwork and pay taxes without it being locked up in customs for months.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.