importing dogs when you drive

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum importing dogs when you drive

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    evafla

Hi, maybe someone can help;

I would like to get to Costa Rica and stay as long as tourist visa
    allows, and take a look at my chances of retirement over there .
    I have 2 small dogs .
    I red carefully the topic about bringing dog to Costa Rica, and some aspect scares me really badly.
    I says the papers obtained in US for the dog can not be older
    than 10 days .
    What does someone do , who wants to travel (drive slowly)
    trough Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua ?

We have really small (26 ft) class C RV and were planning ,
    for quite a while already, to take off for like a year maybe ( with the
    dogs of course ) to look for the place to retire .
    Can someone advice please ? Can papers for the dog be obtained in every country
    before crossing the border ?

thanks a lot eva

costaricafinca
    Participant

You can probably get the required paperwork, if you know where to go in the other countries and have enough Spanish to get it completed.
    I have read on other posts, that transporting animals through any and all border crossings take both extra time and money…
    If you are going to do this ‘solo’ as in traveling alone apart from your dogs, I wouldn’t advise it.

Edited on Mar 05, 2009 06:50

Edited on Mar 05, 2009 06:51

liston

Have you read 99 Days to Panama by John Halkyard and Harriet Halkyard? They traveled with their dog in an RV and crossed several borders, including Costa Rica’s (both ends!). We traveled by air with our dog and had no trouble at customs because we had the correct papers.

dominique

Also, check out the drive me loco website forum about other people bringing thier dogs across the borders. I’m in a similar situation (I have two large dogs and plan to drive from the US to CR, although fairly quickly!) but I was also concerned about the 10 day paperwork. Also, the CR embassy in the US was able to provide me with some good information over the phone. Youmay want to chck wiith them as well. All in all it seems if one carries enough money to palm the border official everything should be A-okay! Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.