Importing construction equipment

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Importing construction equipment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gelman13

Does anyone have any information or experience in importing construction equipment (backhoes, Bobcats, etc) from the US for my own use in CR? Is it allowed? I am going to be doing land preparation (on my own land)in CR, and want to avoid buying equipment in CR which I already own in the US. I intend to sell it in CR when I am done with it, if it is allowed. Any help would be appreciated

Andrew
    Keymaster

I would strongly suggest you find professional help with regards to your quest for more information on this gelman13…

Making any kind of mistake importing high value items like backhoes and Bobcats could be a very expensive and unfortunate learning experience…

If any of our VIP Members have new information on this topic, please don’t hesitate to post your helpful comments here …

Hope that helps….

Scott

waggoner41

[quote=”gelman13″]Does anyone have any information or experience in importing construction equipment (backhoes, Bobcats, etc) from the US for my own use in CR? Is it allowed? I am going to be doing land preparation (on my own land)in CR, and want to avoid buying equipment in CR which I already own in the US. I intend to sell it in CR when I am done with it, if it is allowed. Any help would be appreciated[/quote]

Charlie Zeller has been moving people here for a number of years and can answer any of your questions regarding shipping.

Ship To Costa Rica
    Tel: (506) 258-8747
    Tel: (866) 245-6923 from US
    Fax: (506) 258-7123
    E mail: shiptocostarica@racsa.co.cr
    Door to door shipping, full containers or consolidated shipping. Household goods, Commercial, Cars-Boats-Anything.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

At the very least, you will be liable for import duty and sales tax based on the government’s determination of the value of the equipment. That, plus shipping, could make this a very expensive proposition.

If your only intended use for this equipment is a one-time project, it would likely be much less expensive either to rent the equipment you need or contract the job to a local earthmover. Then, if you anticipate no further need for it, you could sell your equipment in the U.S.

johnr

We brought in a trailer (covered) and a bobcat for our project and I believe the taxes when all said and done were around $4,200.00. I do not remember if that included the transfer and plates for the trailer however. (NOTE: even though all the documentation was provided the items sat in customs for around 120 days – they had not seen a “bobcat” all terain vehicle before / it’s like a ranch vehicle with a dump bed).

costaricafinca
    Participant

And you would have had to pay ‘parking fees’ at ‘$$ per day x 120’ for your equipment, as well, I expect.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.