Importing a car to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Importing a car to Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    cacevedo222

Hey all,
    Sorry, I don’t want to make people repeat experiences they have already shared, but I wanted to ask some questions or hear some experiences concerning importing a car from Miami. If anyone could provide a link to the right discussion, that would be very much appreciated.

Pura Vida,
    Carlos

Versatile

Check out the threads on container shipping and then contact one of the shippers. They will clue you in.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Search for all articles by Arden Brink and you’ll find her contact form …

Scott

gzeniou

Actually, I was going to post something here asking for help about this topic this morning. Does anyone know another shipper other then arden@shipcostarica? When we first contacted them about a month ago to ship in a car, Arden was quick to respond (same day), now that its time to ship the car, She has been non responsive, perhaps she is on vacation or something, I don’t know but its now been over a week. We are coming back into Costa Rica in about 4-5 weeks and want to ensure the car ships and is there when we get there. Thus my question is, does anyone know another reliable shipper that they had a good experience with?

Thanks!

ardenbrink

HI! Arden Brink here. VERY sorry you’ve had trouble — we had strange internet problems last week, and I’ve also found (and heard of other’s experiencing this) that emails in Costa Rica simply vanish in cyberspace now and then — but, George, I don’t have anything in my inbox unanswered by you. Can you send it again and I’ll keep watch? I’m definitely here and certainly NOT “non-responsive” intentionally!!

costaricafinca
    Participant

I highly recommend Charles Zeller, at shiptocostarica@racsa.co.cr
    Other contact info:
    in CR . . . . 506-2258-8747
    fax. . . . . . 506-2258-7123
    Alt ph . . . .1-866-245-6923 (toll free from US & Canada)

gzeniou

[quote=”ardenbrink”]HI! Arden Brink here. VERY sorry you’ve had trouble — we had strange internet problems last week, and I’ve also found (and heard of other’s experiencing this) that emails in Costa Rica simply vanish in cyberspace now and then — but, George, I don’t have anything in my inbox unanswered by you. Can you send it again and I’ll keep watch? I’m definitely here and certainly NOT “non-responsive” intentionally!![/quote]

Thats okay, I was just a little worried there. We really didn’t want to rent a car again!

gzeniou

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I highly recommend Charles Zeller, at shiptocostarica@racsa.co.cr
    Other contact info:
    in CR . . . . 506-2258-8747
    fax. . . . . . 506-2258-7123
    Alt ph . . . .1-866-245-6923 (toll free from US & Canada)[/quote]

Thanks costaricafinca, We heard a lot of good things on this site about Arden, thus we plan on to continue with them.

I will post how the whole process went though and will post the end cost of shipping of a 2010 RAV4 4×4 with import taxes and all. I’m guessing some may be interested. but here are some rough figures so far:
    The cost of the car to buy it in Costa Rica (from a local toyota dealer in CR) was $37500, I am not sure if there would have been any other charges above that, we were not told about (I’m betting there would be). In NC it costs us $21,500, $1200 for shipping etc., and estimated import tax of $12,900 for a total of $35,600. A saving of about $2000 but more importantly we felt very comfortable with the car dealership we got it from as we have other toyotas in the family and know exactly what we are getting. I have also been told that the same car model sold in Costa Rica may be different then one sold in the states. What that difference is? I have no idea. but for us, even if it was break even we probably would do it this way.

Thanks again costaricafinca for your response!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Several knowledgeable people have pointed out to me that a model available here in Costa Rica may be several hundred pounds lighter than the same model sold in the U.S. Since the two are the same outside and since they’re the same in the passenger compartment, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that there’s something missing in between. Maybe it’s safety equipment? Maybe it’s environmental controls? I dunno . . .

But what I do know is that if I had the luxury of the time and opportunity to buy a car in the U.S. (new or used) and import it, that’s what I’d do. The absence of exhaust emission controls may not kill you directly, but if you’re in an accident you cannot have too much energy absorbing bodywork, airbags, door safety beams, etc.

cacevedo222

To expand on this thread. Has anyone had experience with importing a car and flipping it for a quick profit? I’ve heard a quality used car can be sold quite quickly.

costaricafinca
    Participant

By the time you have paid duty, transport, fumigation, broker fees, storage for approx 3 days, the cost will already be ‘up there’ so when you add in ‘profit….’
    Remember, too, that there will be no warranty when [i]you[/i] import a car.
    We have imported a vehicle and also machinery.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”cacevedo222″]Has anyone had experience with importing a car and flipping it for a quick profit? I’ve heard a quality used car can be sold quite quickly.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that the only way you could make this work would be if you could buy an undervalued car at an auto auction. Those are typically only open to licensed car dealers, so you’d have to have an “in”.

Body and paint work here are reasonably good and very cheap. It’s not hard to bring in something in pretty rough shape and shine it up. How would a car shopper be able to tell the difference between that duded up clunker and the good car you imported? Why would they pay the difference?

ardenbrink

[quote=”DavidCMurray”] How would a car shopper be able to tell the difference between that duded up clunker and the good car you imported? Why would they pay the difference?[/quote]

I have to second this comment. While there IS a real need here for good solid cars, Dave hit the most salient point for those trying to bring cars in for re-sale: the local market has come to expect cheap cars, so you face a very real issue of having to “educate” the potential buyer about how your car is different and WHY that car that looks the same in the Grecia used car lots costs several thousand dollars less.

Not to say it couldn’t be done, but we’ve brought cars in for folks who thought they were going to make a quick buck, and most have found themselves sitting with unsold cars many months later.

Just some food for thought. (You can search Scott’s site here for an article I wrote about “Buyer Beware” on the local cheap cars for more information.)

cacevedo222

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I will take that into consideration!

cacevedo222

I’ve actually had a very bad experience with my car I bought down here already and I am hoping to use that painful experience to create a positive situation. I would like to bring down and present quality cars and have the information to back them up!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.