IMPORT DUTIES AND TAXES

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum IMPORT DUTIES AND TAXES

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MOMSMUFFIT

Can anyone tell me if there is a discount on import duties and taxes on hybrid cars (Toyota Prius)?

jimliesen122

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! Sorry, but that one almost made me lose my Diet Coke through my nose!!!!

If you might be looking for any exemption due to the ‘greenness’ of any car – forget it!!! Costa Rica is the greenest place you’ll ever see, and yes, they signed onto the Kyoto Treaty. BUT, due to the import fees due on all cars (they make none of their own in-country) cars are kept forever, and a very large number of vehicles belch noxious fumes like you would not believe.

When you drive through the countryside and smell the beautiful smell of deisel (traffic speed is determined not by you, but by the speed of the old, overloaded, comercial truck at the front of the line, belching its way up the mountain), you will most likely wonder how they manage to deride the USA for not signing onto Kyoto, while they simultaneously allow 30 year old trucks to pollute like crazy, laboring up a mountainside road. I suppose the good news is that CO and CO2 is what the plants need, right? Plenty of food for ’em.

If you do take your Prius to CR, you may also encounter another problem. Whose gonna service it? Ticos are some of the most inventive, imaginitive, solution type folks you’ll find, but I wouldn’t want to throw a hybid at them and ask for a tune-up.

Now, with Toyota and Presidente Arias so chummy together, and chats about bringing in a Toyota factory and all, perhaps I am completely wrong. I would check with the Toyota dealers in San Jose and see if they can service you.

I just know that when I go to CR, I rent a Suzuki Alto, which is plenty zippy, and about as big and massive as a Prius, and I get about 45 mpg, which sure seems economical and green to me, and I have the sense that if I broke down outside of the big city, I could find some help.

Andrew
    Keymaster

All political emails about the USA and September 11th have been deleted. Let’s please stick to Costa Rica related matters folks

Best wishes

Scott Oliver
    Founder – WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.