“If I die in Costa Rica…” How do I get my body back to the U.S.?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum “If I die in Costa Rica…” How do I get my body back to the U.S.?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ddspell12

If I die in CR and want my remains flown back to the states what are the steps to do this.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Step 1: Buy some of those big black garden trash bags which are made of that thicker, preferably biodegradable plastic….

Step 2: Speak to an attorney…

But seriously … Please speak to an attorney BEFORE investing in the pastic bags…

Have any of our VIP Members been through this process already who might be able to help us with this important information?

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

You could get cremated.

ddspell12

[quote=”costaricafinca”]You could get cremated.[/quote]I want a traditional funeral in the states.

ddspell12

[quote=”ddspell12″][quote=”costaricafinca”]You could get cremated.[/quote]I want a traditional funeral in the states.[/quote]I am looking for serious input please.

watchdog

Make a Costa Rica Will with a Costa Rica Notary/Attorney, appointing a local Executor in Costa Rica, leaving your Executor the specific instructions in your Will as to what you wish to be done with your body following your death. You would have to either pre-pay, or make payment provisions for your Executor to have your body shipped to the U.S. by a local CR funeral home, and likewise, arrangements with a U.S. funeral home to receive your body and conduct the funeral that you wish. Note from Scott: ‘WatchDog’ is the username for my friend and Attorney Richard (Rick) Philps who is a Canadian citizen, naturalized as a citizen of Costa Rica. Rick practiced law in Canada as a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, for fourteen years, prior to moving to Costa Rica in 1998. Mr. Philps the earned his Bachelor of Laws and Licensing Degrees (Civil Law), and a Post-Graduate Degree in Notary and Registry Law, from the Escuela Libre de Derecho University, in San Jose, is a member of the Costa Rica College of Lawyers, and has practiced law in Costa Rica for six years. Mr. Philps practices law in the areas of real estate and development, corporate, commercial, contract, immigration, and banking. To contact Attorney Rick Philps, please email rphilps@plawcr.com or call 506 2288-4381 Ext. 102

DENISEINSD

we shared a van from one airport to another in san jose, with a wife, brother and sister in law of a man who had died in Costa. i don’t know HOW he died but they were having a horible time getting the husbands body back to Chicago for buriel. it was the saddest thing to see a grieving family deal with US and CR’S EMBASYS to try and get this done.

costaricafinca
    Participant

It may or may not be important to you, but when any foreigner dies here, there is [u]always[/u] an autopsy.
    I found [url=http://www.1costaricalink.com/live-retire-costa-rica/death-of-loved-one-friend/]this[/url]
    I wouldn’t count on the costs quoted to be up-to-date.

VictoriaLST

Oddly enough, the topic came up at lunch today. Someone calls the Red Cross and the US embassy immediately and arrangements are made within 24 hours. There is a liaison at the embassy whom you can call to discuss it.

ddspell12

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Maybe this sounds rude, but why would somebody care what happens to the body AFTER being dead ? I mean, why would I care when I were already dead ? At the moment after I die I am pretty sure I don’t care of anything any more. I would not want my kids to spend thousands of $$$ or Euros to drag my dead old rotten body back to Germany where I did not even want to be in life ? And if my German relatives and friends want to be at my funeral then they better come to Costa Rica and have some fun vacations after the service. I would rather have my kids donate any extra money to animal rescue centers instead of paying funeral homes and airplane tickets for a coffin, plus wasting time on the pain-in-the-butt of legal work.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I certainly understand why you feel that way but in this case, there may be some religious convictions that we need to pay attention to… I don’t know.

And of course death doesn’t always arrive when we expect it to so it is sensible to be prepared ahead of time …

Scott

lyncota
    Participant

Thanks to all regarding this thread. This is the type of dialogue that most of us that subscribe to this forum are looking for. Well… the humor, too, I guess.

[quote=”Scott”]I certainly understand why you feel that way but in this case, there may be some religious convictions that we need to pay attention to… I don’t know.

And of course death doesn’t always arrive when we expect it to so it is sensible to be prepared ahead of time …

Scott

[/quote]

Religion off course could be a reason, I agree there.

bogino
    Participant

I’ve already had that conversation with my kids that when the time comes for my final transition I want to be cremated and that they should hike up to the highest suspended bridge in my favorite rain forest and sprinkle my ashes into paradise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.