ICE billing practices

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum ICE billing practices

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rcpoppell

I have a new home and newly installed, defective electric meter. My bill has been running $2.50/month since they put it in. It is an old stlye mechanical wheel type and the wheel is frozen in place.
    The question is: what will ICE do about retroactive billing if/when they discover it and put in a new working model?
    Anyone know?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Jeez! You are asking some questions and A: I have no idea and B: It’s probably one of those questions that you’ll probably get ten different answer to when you visit the local ICE office…

For those of you who are new to Costa Rica. ICE (pronounced EEESAY) is the ‘Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad’ which is the monopolistic electricity and telecommunications company here and their site is at [ http://www.grupoice.com/ ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

albertoB

I don’t know about ICE, but I have experience with a water meter. A&A the water company, decided that although it was their meter and they couldn’t prove it was reading wrong, or prove how much water we had used, they retroactively charged us based on what they think it should have been.

As this is a business, the bill was around $2000.00.

When we refused to pay, they just shut off the water. The response was, take us to court. If you win, we’ll turn on your water. This could take two to three years. We paid the bill, they laughed and turned on the water.

Just because they thought we should be using more water than their meter said.

Alberto

jneiman

Any chance I could purchase your defective meter and give you my working meter? 😉

Minuit

I think honesty always pays in the end. I would go to ICE as soon as possible and tell them what happens. If they don’t change it very quickly, at least they won’t tell you hid the problem from them. But you will feel better being open about this…

I remember when I suscribed for a new electricity service, I filled a whole list of what I planned to have as electric appliances. My guess is they would charge you retroactive for what they think would cost according to what you filled…
    Good Luck Jo

rcpoppell

FYI:
    I discussed the issue with my property manager, a 17-yr resident with a Tico husband. Both say it is an ICE problem.
    Next I had her take the item to my attorney that created my S.A. corporation and provides its domicile. Hopefully he can deal with ICE and get it cleared up. We will see.
    I have a very good track record now of renting my home to tourists and it would crash if the electric is turned off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.