I just got back from CR for the first time…

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum I just got back from CR for the first time…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    blackjackds

I am 25 and a financial advisor in the states and we just got back from our first trip to costa rica. We did all the typical tourists things and we stayed in Tamarindo. I have been researching investment property and possibly moving there eventually since we got back. I have been to a fair amount of countries and CR is so great. We spent all of our time on the pacific side and my question is what is the Caribbean side like? culture wise, crime wise, weather wise. I have read a lot of posts about the good but what is the bad part about the caribbean side? Thankyou for the responses and this is a great website.

costaricafinca
    Participant

If you have just returned, did you not read about the disastrous flooding on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica? Check out the back issues of the online papers.

The rain lasted for over two weeks and they are still trying to clean up the mud that remains. Flooding in some areas of the Caribbean side happens every year, but then again, it happens frequently on the Pacific side as well.

The differences are huge, from the Caribbean side of Costa Rica to the Pacific side, in so many ways. From culture, weather to the infrastructure.

There is nothing resembling Tamarindo there.

Also at present there is a possibility of a new Residency Bill that could change things drastically, and will stop many who are considering the move to Costa Rica, in their tracks.

There are postings regarding this new bill, further down the Index page of this forum.

blackjackds

I am not asking if there is anything like Tamarindo there. I am asking what it is like there. Specifically land prices, infrastructure, crime rates, culture, everything. It is hard to find accurate information on the internet because everyone is trying to sell you something so they won’t tell you the bad. I am looking for objective information.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I was trying to be polite.
    I don’t like it at all.It is much dirtier, and in some areas it is full of drug crazy tourists. I personally, wouldn’t invest there, but ‘each to their own’.
    The infrastructure is nearly nil. Lots more garbage. You have to realize that the Caribbean side was more or less invisible until the 1990’s. No power, services, etc. Yes, the land prices are less, but at what price? It is still without many services you would expect.
    Hardly any stores, so you are required to travel to purchase most things.The culture is more ‘Hip hop’ with lots of folk who enjoy Reggae music. I have no problem with the African/Caribbean folk who live there, I just don’t like the druggies that hang out in some areas, but of course, others may like it.
    You would need to judge this area for yourself.

ecotonecons

I have been in the Puerto Viejo area on the East coast three times. I found it refreshing as it is not developed as the Pacific side. There are some very nice hotels there, and you can get a decent place for about 2/3 of the cost on the other side (at least when I was there last).
    There always seems to be a greater variety of foreign nationals there.
    I did not see any crime personally when we were there, although there is reportedly a serial rapist prowling the local beaches. Not really into the bar scene, so I can’t speak of the town at night really. Spent an evening in Limon one night and I would definitely watch where I was going there…
    Also, we found that it rains frequently there at night and sometimes in the early morning, but usually it clears up and the sun shines. Always seems ‘fresh’ there as you don’t have the incessant heat we always seemed to get on the Pacific side.
    We had great experiences there each time and ended up buying a small chunk of jungle for later use..

Edited on Dec 09, 2008 17:57

blackjackds

that is the kind of info im looking for. I am curious if the new marina and the chinese investment in that part of the country will clear things up. I have also heard it was dirtier and druggier than the pacific. have you guys found it to be cheaper to buy land and build or buy a pre built house? Is it cheaper to go through a realtor online or find someone in town when you get there?

costaricafinca
    Participant

We were over there this past week, on business, and although there was 3 cruise ships in port, but there were hardly any tourists around, as the buses arrive to ‘whisk’ them elsewhere. The cruise lines warn that this area is dangerous. We drove further up the coast and still not many tourists around, and since this where the local income is derived from, the small restaurants/hotels, etc were ‘crying the blues’ due to the flooding and customers who had canceled as they could get in there..
    Like all over Costa Rica, it is very easy to buy land and homes…but very difficult to sell.
    With the price of construction materials going up, it would be cheaper to buy something already completed and would advise you to visit then rent over there before you purchase anything.
    Look around the area you are interested in, because ‘what you see is what you get’.
    Like anywhere, prices vary all over the country.

sprite

Try the mountains of the central valley…unless you absolutely need to be next to the ocean and can either live with heat or high electic bills. Remember, vacationing at the beach is not the same as day to day life. Too much heat can be almost as bad as cold. The mountains have spring like weather year round and, in my opinion, the towns are more tidy up there.

blackjackds

I live in Minnesota right now where it is 9 degrees F today. I am sure you are right that too much heat could be as bad as cold but right now I cannot really comprehend that 🙂 How far into the mountains do you have to go so that it is not as hot? I love the ocean and want to be able to get there quickly. Also, when you look at real estate for sale on this website and others (caribe-sur) for example, is the listed price pretty much the bottom line or is there usually a little to a lot of wiggle room?

costaricafinca
    Participant

The Turrialba area is very nice. Scenery is fantastic and not hot, but not cold either. We live in the interior of Guanacaste, and find it’s great. Not humid like the beaches.

blackjackds

how long does it take you to drive to the beach? also, what is your opinion of the second part of my question regarding land list prices and actual sale prices?

ecotonecons

We bought land directly from the Tica who owned it, it was far less than the ‘going’ rate which realtors have posted on their listings.
    I am not so sure there are more ‘druggies’ on this side either, they definitely stick out as there are a lot fewer people, I would imagine that other bigger cities on the Pacific side have their problem areas as well- their size just hides it better perhaps.
    The roads on the Caribbean side are very close to the ocean, so access is a breeze from anywhere.
    In a nutshell, this side is developing (slowly), and similar to other places on earth in this stage you get many of the budget minded travelers (back packers, young people) frequenting the area, as well as a mix of people who love the area and despite the lack of services.

Potoo

Well I love it there and cant wait to get back.

Hope the floods didnt kill the beaches too much but at least that’s nature and not a bulldozer.

I Emailed you a good website link for this region

Rich

csenig

Potoo

We are heading down to the PV area for a month this winter. It will be our third time and it is our favorite area in CR even we love other places too.
    could you send me the website also.

thanks
    Chuck

sprite

You can reach the Pacific in about an hour from the central valley west side. I grew up in Ohio so I know about miserable cold but I have lived in Miami for 26 years now and, while the beach is great for week ends, the heat in summer is stifling here. The Costa Rican Pacific coast is hotter still.

Think about how you will spend your days in CR. Unless you have an unusual passion to be right by the water 100% of the time, you may want to consider living in the mountains where there is less crime, less heat, cleaner towns and in my opinion, prettier scenery. Drive to beach on weekends if you want. It is not that far away. And land is arguably cheaper in the central valley.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.